Desire for / Thirst of / Crave for

BeaPooh

Italian
What's the most proper verb/expression to use in this sentence?

She really has desire for recognition.
She really thirsts of recognition.
She really craves for recognition.

I think it's "craves for" but I'm not English so I'm not sure.

• kool-wind

British English
    The one with 'craves for' is the only one that is a natural sentence as it stands.

All of them can be used but you need to change the wording for them to be correct.

She really has a desire for recognition, or, she really desires recognition.
    She really has a thirst for recognition, or, she really thirst for recognition.
    The last one could also be expressed as, She really has a craving for recognition.

They are very similar in meaning but there are nuances. I would say that the order of intensity is desire, thirst, craving, with desire being the weakest.

BeaPooh

Italian
    The one with 'craves for' is the only one that is a natural sentence as it stands.

All of them can be used but you need to change the wording for them to be correct.

She really has a desire for recognition, or, she really desires recognition.
    She really has a thirst for recognition, or, she really thirst for recognition.
    The last one could also be expressed as, She really has a craving for recognition.

They are very similar in meaning but there are nuances. I would say that the order of intensity is desire, thirst, craving, with desire being the weakest.
    Thank you very much for the explanation!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I assume this is a difference between varieties of English. In my variety of English, I would not say "craves for recognition", but "craves recognition".

On the other hand, I might speak of "a craving for recognition".

BeaPooh

Italian
    I assume this is a difference between varieties of English. In my variety of English, I would not say "craves for recognition", but "craves recognition".

On the other hand, I might speak of "a craving for recognition".
    And according to you which is the one which fits best between the other two sentences?

< Previous | Next >