despite the noise and chaos, though, we still prefer to

hedgy

Catalan
In the following sentence:
Despite the noise and chaos, though, we still prefer to have meals as a family.
I can see despite and though.
I would have only used one:
- despite the noise and chaos we still prefer to...
Do you know why they use despite and though in the same sentence?

• Biffo

English - England
    It seems to me to be okay with both.

Paraphrase

However, despite the noise and chaos, we still prefer to have meals as a family.

Sin embargo, a pesar del ruido y del caos, todavía preferimos tener las comidas en familia. (Is my Spanish correct?)

inib

British English
    I imagine that the "though" is being used to contrast with something that was previously said. Can you tell us the previous sentence, hedgy?
    And "despite" is being used to contrast the supposed unpleasantness of noise and chaos with the positive side of eating all together as a family.

Biffo

English - England
    I imagine that the "though" is being used to contrast with something that was previously said. Can you tell us the previous sentence, hedgy?
    And "despite" is being used to contrast the supposed unpleasantness of noise and chaos with the positive side of eating all together as a family.
    Yes, I agree. Well put.

hedgy

Catalan
    It goes like this:
    The nation's eating habits have changed and many families no longer eat together on a regular basis. To be honest, this doesn't strike me as particularly surprising. Lunchtime last Sunday in my own home consisted of my two-year-old son happily throwing his food on the floor whilst - yet again- his older brother and sister protested loudly about the vegetables they were being made to eat.
    You are right Inib. Thank you

juan2937

Banned
    Spanish
    It seems to me to be okay with both.

Paraphrase
    However, despite the noise and chaos, we still prefer to have meals as a family.
    Sin embargo, a pesar del ruido y del caos, todavía preferimos tener las comidas en familia. (Is my Spanish correct?)
    Sin embargo, a pesar de la bulla y el caos aún preferimos sentarnos a comer en familia.

juan2937

Banned
    Spanish
    Thank you. :)

¿Se puede usar "todavía" en vez de "aún", o sería incorrecto?
    They are interchangeable but todavía implies that this family customs still going on, aún denotes that this family custom is dying but some families keep this gathering alive.

< Previous | Next >