Después de darle a la enfermedad

< Previous | Next >

ARod82

Spanish, English
Hola, necesito ayuda interpretando esta siguiente frase: “el medico despues de darle a la enfermedad, el segimiento correspondiente determino que parecia mal de alzeimers”
Ya se que seguimiento correspondiente es corresponding follow up y Alzheimer es Alzheimer’s. No se como decirlo correctamente en inglés. Mi mejor intérpretacion de esta frase es: “after the doctor saw I had Alzheimer’s, he did a corresponding follow up that I was sick from Alzheimer’s.” I know what it means but I know my translation is not correct. Thank you for any help given

• lagartija68

Castellano rioplatense
    Está mal puesta la coma:
    El médico, después de darle a la enfermedad el seguimiento correspondiente, determinó que parecía mal de Alzheimer.
    After following up on the disease, the doctor established it looked like Alzheimer's. ¿Puede ser?

Last edited:

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    After the doctor established that I had a medical problem, the appropriate followup determined that I was suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

ARod82

Spanish, English
    Está mal puesta la coma:
    El médico, después de darle a la enfermedad el seguimiento correspondiente, determinó que parecía mal de Alzheimer.
    After following up on the disease, the doctor established it looked like Alzheimer's. ¿Puede ser?
    Thank you, I think what I’m looking for is more formal. It is giving me an understanding on how to better translate that into English. I do want it to have corresponding follow up for “el seguimiento correspondiente”

ARod82

Spanish, English
    After the doctor established that I had a medical problem, the appropriate followup determined that I was suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
    Thank you, this is closer to what I am looking for. Instead of medical problem, I would use illness as Enfermedad isn’t always translated as disease. Medical problem would be more like problema de la salud. You did help, I think I will translate that as “After the doctor established I had an illness, the corresponding follow-up determined I was sick from Alzheimer’s. As in the last part when translating we don’t need to say disease because it’s obvious alzheimers is a disease. Thank you,

LVRBC

If you are looking for a formal tone, the formal name is Alzheimer's Disease. Alzheimer's is often used alone, however, both within and outside of medicine. The problem that you may have is that "illness" and especially the word "sick" carry some implication of infectious disease in US English. It depends on your audience. Good luck.

ARod82

Spanish, English
    Yes, I see what your saying. It’s an audio between a doctor and patient. The patient was speaking to the doctor about when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. He was speaking about how it happens. This is the background of the sentence. The patient felt a strong pain and they realized he had an illness but the corresponding follow up (the exams performed) determined he had Alzheimer’s.

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    As you say in #7, la enfermedad (medical problem, illness) and Alzheimer are two different things here; after taking care of my illness (that which caused my pain; después de darle a la enfermedad), the doctor determined on follow-up that I had Alzheimer.

Not sure how to properly express it in English but the idea is that there was some unrelated medical problem that needed to be taken care of and after doing so and on the follow-up for that medical condition the doctor could determine that there was some other problem and that is when the diagnosis of Alzheimer's came out.

LVRBC

Thank you Chema, for clarifying, as usual. It looks like you have properly expressed it in English already (and I quote from your post above): After taking care of my illness, the doctor determined on follow-up that I had Alzheimer's. ( If this were very formal or medical, you could substitute "presenting complaint" for "illness" but it sounds as if it is not quite at that point.)

ARod82

Spanish, English
    As you say in #7, la enfermedad (medical problem, illness) and Alzheimer are two different things here; after taking care of my illness (that which caused my pain; después de darle a la enfermedad), the doctor determined on follow-up that I had Alzheimer.

Not sure how to properly express it in English but the idea is that there was some unrelated medical problem that needed to be taken care of and after doing so and on the follow-up for that medical condition the doctor could determine that there was some other problem and that is when the diagnosis of Alzheimer's came out.
    Yes, I think I needed to give a bit of the background of the conversation and who the two corresponding parties were in order to get a better translation. Yes, medical problem is not illness.

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    Yes, medical problem is not illness.
    And neither is condition, disease or disorder. Again, context is needed to choose the most appropriate term here. Being as it is a term used by a patient and with no specific data about it I'd rather use "condition" here, but surely enough the specific context (what does "enfermedad" mean here) will help you choose wisely. You might want to open a new thread for that, as it is always interesting to see how there is no straight answer to "how do you translate this word" -if you do not specify where and how the original term is used.

This is an interesting link on some different English terms for "enfermedad": Condition, Disease, Disorder - AMA Style Insider.

< Previous | Next >