Dessert? No thanks

< Previous | Next >

Marfla68

English
Bonjour
Je cherche une réponse que je peux utiliser dans un resto quand le serveur me demande si je prendrai le dessert et je ne veux pas en avoir. Est ce que je peux dire “Je ferai l’impasse”?
Merci d’avance

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    I don't know what reaction you would get from saying “Je ferai l’impasse”. :)

« Pas de dessert, non merci » will convey the message.

Marfla68

English
    Interesting reply!..A TripAdvisor contributor from France referred to skipping dessert by using the expression “on a fait l’impasse sur les desserts” so maybe I’ll wait on some replies from French native speakers to see how they would convey the message

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Last edited:

Marfla68

English
    Maybe so!..just like american English is very different from the English spoken in Ireland, the same applies to Swiss French and French spoken in France ..
    Merci quand même

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Yes, when you master the language, you can be creative to say that :
    "pas cette fois-ci, merci"
    "je passe" a bit funny because it's a reference to poker
    "je ferai l'impasse aujourd'hui"
    "ça ira, merci"
    "sans moi"
    "arrêtez de me tenter" (works for me because I'm fat...)
    "non merci, j'essaye d'arrêter". This one is funny, because "j'essaye d'arrêter" is what you say when you are trying to stop smoking, so using it when you are proposed a dessert, a piece of candy, or even a glass of wine, or some gravy, or a date with someone, would make people smile.

It would depends on the feeling between you and the waiter, and your ability to give a smart answer if the waiter goes on, so, for beginners in French, "non, merci" is better.

Marfla68

English
    Some great suggestions and good to know that “ je ferai l’impasse” can also be used!
    Merci beaucoup!!

Sealth

French
    Bonjour
    Je cherche une réponse que je peux utiliser dans un resto quand le serveur me demande si je prendrai le dessert et je ne veux pas en avoir. Est ce que je peux dire “Je ferai l’impasse”?
    Merci d’avance
    Bonjour,
    "Je ferai l'impasse" me semble un peu exagéré pour dire tout simplement que vous n'en prendrez pas. Ce n'est ni maladroit, ni incorrect, juste un peu sorti du contexte. Comme le suggèrent d'autres ici, un simple "Non merci, pas pour moi" devrait suffire.

Interesting reply!..A TripAdvisor contributor from France referred to skipping dessert by using the expression “on a fait l’impasse sur les desserts” so maybe I’ll wait on some replies from French native speakers to see how they would convey the message
    Hi,
    I'm sure what he / she wanted to say is that for once, they ("on") didn't take any, because they weren't hungry anymore or they don't like icecream or it was too expensive ... whatever! In any case you got it right when you say they skipped dessert for one reason or another. ;)

I see I was one minute late ... :D

Itisi

English UK/French
    You might say 'sans façon' to your host if you were invited for a meal, but not to a waiter in a restaurant.

It means you are not saying no just to be polite.

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Ou
    « Non merci, pas pour moi. » si les autres convives en prennent mais pas vous.

< Previous | Next >