Dessicated or dry river

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
I wonder which of these two adjectives would be correct or most appropriate to describe those rivers which don't bear any water in dry-weather seasons. Would it be "dessicated" or "dry" rivers? Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Please give us a complete sentence. "A dry (or dried-up) river" is a river that is dry at the time you are describing it: it may not have had water for years or it may have dried yesterday.

Dessicated is wrong - the adjective is not applied to rivers.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Thank you, PaulQ, I get it. What I was looking for is "A dry river" or "A dried-up river", I still don't know which of the two is best. There are plenty of them in some hot climates, such as the Mediterranean in the south of Spain (Alicante/Málaga/etc.) Due to long periods of drought, the riverbeds are dry, not a drop flowing. This may happen for months on end. Then, when it rains, usually heavily, there are devastating floods. I do not have a specific sentence, but I don't think we need one. Thanks again. Bye.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If it's dry, it's not a river. If it's dry, you're looking at a river bed in the dry season in a part of the world where the rivers do actually dry up regularly..

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Complying with the rules, I'll try to make up a sentence. "In Málaga, and elsewhere on the Mediterranean coast, in Spain, I have seen dry riverbeds or seasonal rivers, although water may sometimes flow flooding large areas of the towns. But these floods don't always come in due seasons, like the Monsoons in Asia, as the rains are unpredictable, really" I hope the sentence exemplifies rightly what I was looking for. Sorry, I did not mean to be disobedient.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    By the way, when you do have something desiccated, like coconut or skin, it's desiccated, not dessicated: a very common spelling mistake, because 'dessicated' looks right for the pronunciation. It's from Latin siccus, but you lose Latin double letters in Spanish, so Spanish equivalents won't help here.

< Previous | Next >