destination dining

< Previous | Next >

pera_palas

Turkish
Hi
Currently I'm translating a text about a hotel, in which it says the hotel offers six destination dining experiences including the roof bar and the restaurant.

Now I couldn't understand the part "destination dining".
Does that mean world cuisine? Food from different destinations?
Or does it simply mean food options?

Thank you!

• Tazzler

American English
    Merhaba!

I didn't recognize that phrase, and I thought it could very well be some sort of name for a program of some kind. But now I think it just means the hottest places to go, the top picks for eating out, which offer a very good dining experience.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'Destination dining' refers to how people go to particular destinations specifically for the dining experience that it offers. Presumably the hotel represents such a place. This distinguishes the restaurants that are in, say, shopping centres, where people go to because they get hungry whilst shopping! Here's the Encarta Dictionary:

adjective
    Definition:

involving particular place: involving or relating to an establishment such as a restaurant or shop that people make a point of going to, usually because of its reputation (informal)
    destination dining

Last edited:

MilkyBarKid

British English
    'destination dining' is when resort hotels have 'themed' restaurants - that is, one might serve only Chinese food ( and have a Chinese name like Golden Dragon:D); others might include French, Mexican, Japanese etc., so the dining experience is as if you are dining out in that country - hence, like some one has travelled to that destination and is having a meal at a restaurant in that country. You'll find a lot of resort hotels in Las Vegas advertise this as part of the attraction of the hotel.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Sorry, MilkyBarKid, I think while 'destination dining' restaurants might be themed in the way you described, I don't think this is necessarily the case. Those would just be themed restaurants for me. I think the definition from the Encarta Dictionary is the correct one. These are restaurants for foodies.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Looking around at examples of usage, "destination dining" seems to refer specifically to the notion of going to a particular destination because of one particular restaurant, or a collection of restaurants.

< Previous | Next >