destination is not as valuable as the journey

< Previous | Next >

gatoran

Farsi
In the book "Classic Feynman" by Feynman, Alan Alda says (page 505)

He's always just out of sight, smiling at us, laughing at how he put one over on us, letting us think he was just an ordinary guy, a guy we could "get." It turns out, though, that the old saying about the destination not being as valuable as the journey really is true. because when we began, finding Feynman seemed important - and I guess it was - but as it turned out, looking for Feynman has been the fun.

My question is what are the meaning of the texts in red? What is over all meaning of whole text? Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    put one over on us, -> to put one over on someone = to successfully trick or fool someone
    the destination not being as valuable as the journey -> the proverb is "It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive." (Attributed to R. L. Stephenson) = You should enjoy the process of doing something, rather than anticipate the result of doing it.
    Bill: I can't wait till I get my high school diploma.
    Fred: You should concentrate on enjoying high school instead. It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive. (See Freedicitonary.com)

< Previous | Next >