destination

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering how to describe which line we take on the train, since every train would have two destinations from the end of either side. When I give instructions to my friend, is it idiomatic to say so:

Take the green line of MTR with the destination to Tiu Keng Leng station.

• Copyright

American English
    Take the green line on the MTR to Tiu Keng Leng.

The "to" tells us its a destination. And we understand that "Tiu Keng Leng" is a station.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I was wondering how to describe which line we take on the train, since every train would have two destinations from the end of either side. When I give instructions to my friend, is it idiomatic to say so:

Take the green line of MTR with the destination to Tiu Keng Leng station.
    I would say "Take the MTR green line towards Tiu Keng Leng" if my friend didn't actually have to go right to the end of the line (assuming Tiu Keng Leng is the terminus). Alternatively, I've seen a lot of urban rail lines labelled as northbound/southbound/eastbound/westbound.

Sun14

Chinese
    I would say "Take the MTR green line towards Tiu Keng Leng" if my friend didn't actually have to go right to the end of the line (assuming Tiu Keng Leng is the terminus). Alternatively, I've seen a lot of urban rail lines labelled as northbound/southbound/eastbound/westbound.
    Got it. Tiu Keng Leng is the terminus. And I have also write another instruction for her:

"Get off at Kowloon Tong station and get out at exit A and walk straightly until you arrive at the first corner."

Copyright

American English
    Where is this person starting and what is the station she wants? It sounds like you might be in Yau Ma Tei, for example. and directing her to take the Tiu Keng Leng line, but get off at Kowloon Tong.

For others wishing to orient themselves to this question, this is a map of the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) in Hong Kong. The line being discussed has Yau Ma Tei and Tiu Keng Leng as its starting/ending stations – and its green.

Copyright

American English
    Got it. Tiu Keng Leng is the terminus. And I have also write another instruction for her:

"Get off at Kowloon Tong station and get out at exit A and walk straightly until you arrive at the first corner."
    There is no exit A ... there is A1 to Suffolk Road and A2 to Hong Kong Baptist Hospital. I don't recall those two specifically, but it's a rare exit that leads directly straight out – normally you'll arrive at the top of the stairs on a sidewalk paralleling a road and you'll turn left or right. But you may know better about the particular exit you mean.

Sun14

Chinese
    Where is this person starting and what is the station she wants? It sounds like you might be in Yau Ma Tei, for example. and directing her to take the Tiu Keng Leng line, but get off at Kowloon Tong.

For others wishing to orient themselves to this question, this is a map of the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) in Hong Kong. The line being discussed has Yau Ma Tei and Tiu Keng Leng as its starting/ending stations – and its green.
    I was giving him the instructions to get from my house where it is situated in Prince Edward to my school where it is situated in Kowloon Town.

I made a mistaking in specifying the exit. Thanks for your reminding.

Copyright

American English
    I might say, "Take the MTR. Get on the train going to Tiu Keng Leng. Get off at the second stop – Kowloon Tong."

It's even easier if you tell him what platform.

< Previous | Next >