destined to be, already written/decided

paumuffin

Argentinian Spanish, English
Hello everyone!
My name is Paula (I'm from Argentina and do not speak gorgeous English :p)
I love arabic music, food, art and so..! I first got in touch with that culture when I was a child, because my grandmother's sisters had been all born in Lebanon. I'm also studying to be a Chef, and I'm thinking about getting specialized in arabic cuisine, as I'm used to eat it at home everyday (L) (and I CAN cook it) :p

I'm not looking for a translation from spanish/english to arabic language, but an...mmm 'interpretation' (?) right in arabic.

I would like to get a proverb/word/phrase (written) that is related to 'destiny', to what we can't change, like..tomorrow's sunset!
Someone told me about a word, I think it was 'maktub' or something like that... but I don't want to translate those 'letters' or pronunciation in spanish into arabic, with a translator! I want the 'real' written word/phrase :p from an arabian person or someone like you who know a LOT! =)
I also think that word (maktub) is related to Allah (?) Like there are many things that 'he' decides and the people under that religion, cannot change.
I'm not quite a religious person (though, I 'was born' christian), so I wouldn't like to make reference to a special god (Allah, God, or whoever)

The idea is that there are some things we don't decide.. such as our skin color, for example. If I would like to have it green I couldn't because that's not on me (?) Skin colours are black, yellow, white and that's all! I don't care if those things are on Allah or God, or whoever, but the thing is that they are not on US. Hope you understand the example :p
Leaving apart if you believe in destiny or not, there ARE some things that we do not decide...

I want to say something about that we can make decisions about our lives (I can get an ice cream or a coffee) but there are SOME things that are not on us, because some things are already drawn, written, established (as you want to say it) For example, I was born with dark hair.

You surely have all noticed that I do not know A THING about the language (neither how to read or write it) but I was thinking to get 'tattooed' and I wished you could help me (specially natives!).
Yeah, I know, 'why to get tattooed in a language I do not understand?' It's complicated and 'dangerous' (if I get tattooed wrong letters or words with double meaning)
Well.. just because I AM related to that culture and it's an important thing in my life. And I cannot change that, I was born in this family :)

About the tattoo... I would like to write the word/phrase (something short) in classic arabic (lengua escrita oficial/literaria) not a special dialect.

I'm trying to find lots of information about all this but I do not know any arabian person (my grandmother and her sisters don't live anymore). I was thinking to go to the Arabian Embassy here in Argentina, but they are all busy people who are not going to get a moment to think about a philosophical proverb or meaning of a word!
Then, I was thinking to get a callygrapher to write it beautifully! (or someone who could write it with is hand, not computer ARIAL :p)

Well... I'm open to questions if I didn't make myself clear..
thank you so much!

kisses

paula.

• djara

Tunisia Arabic
    Why not المكتوب على الجبين لازم تشوفه العين which literally means "whatever is written on your forehead, you will necessarily see one day" i.e. you can't escape your fate or destiny. Note: this is colloquial Arabic.

Josh_

U.S., English
    I think Paula is going after القضاء والقدر al-qaDaa' wa-l-qadar which a phrase meaning destiny, as in predestination -- things we cannot change.

There are other words that represent the ideas of fate and destiny, but I do not think they best represent (as per my understanding of them) the idea that Paula is going after..

There is المصير al-maSiir, but this is more self-determined destiny.

Then there is القسمة والنصيب al-qisma wa-n-naSiib, but these refer more to one's alloted share in life.

Then there is مخير أم مسير mukhayyar am musayyar, having free will or not having free will (of man), in other words, does man control his actions or does God? But with this idea we start to drift away from Paula's initial request.

So, I believe القضاء والقدر is the best choice.

Last edited:

paumuffin

Argentinian Spanish, English
    Hey Josh! what does
    القضاء والقدر al-qaDaa' wa-l-qadar
    literally mean?

I think that Djara's phrase is great, but if it depends on the context, I'm not sure if it might refer to foolishness (necedad). I mean... like someone doesn't want to see the reality (that's written in his own forehead) but eventually he won't escape from seeing it (?)
    I wanna refer to things, not only 'acts' (in a neutral position, neither optimistic nor pesimistic) that just 'are'.

thanks and I keep waiting for moreeeee! :)

Edit: which dialect is Djara using? and which one are you using, Josh?

< Previous | Next >