destroy/ruin

sevengem

Chinese
How to distinguish the two words as they both mean "completely damage something"?

e.g.
My shoes were _________ in the mud.
The house was ________ by the fire.

Last edited:
  • MichaelW

English (British)
    To ruin something can have the sense of spoiling, tarnishing or disfiguring etc something, to the point where it is of no further use or value.

So my shoes were ruined by the mud - I'm not going to wear them again because the mud has fouled them so much.

To destroy something is to break or demolish etc it completely - my ruined shoes are still in one piece, so they are not destroyed.

The house was destroyed by the fire - it was burned out, demolished.

The house was ruined by the fire - the house may still be standing, but perhaps the smoke damage and so on have made it uninhabitable, or whatever beauty it had has been soiled and damaged.

sevengem

Chinese
    To ruin something can have the sense of spoiling, tarnishing or disfiguring etc something, to the point where it is of no further use or value.

So my shoes were ruined by the mud - I'm not going to wear them again because the mud has fouled them so much.

To destroy something is to break or demolish etc it completely - my ruined shoes are still in one piece, so they are not destroyed.

The house was ruined by the fire - the house may still be standing, but perhaps the smoke damage and so on have made it uninhabitable, or whatever beauty it had has been soiled and damaged.
    Thank you for your explanation. It is very clear.

ghcherry

Chinese-English

Many thanks ! I finally understand the difference between these two words.

< Previous | Next >