...destroying the peace they'd found in life

Discussion in 'English Only' started by liber arce, Mar 4, 2009.

1. liber arce Member

Moscow
    Turkish
    Hi, this quote is from the serial Legend of the seeker.

I couldn't manage to dismantle the sentence, so the meaning is obscure. How could it be said in other words?

2. Qaz_ Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    American English
    Is that the whole sentence? It seems like part is missing.

3. liber arce Member

Moscow
    Turkish
    Nothing is missing, that's for sure.

4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It is not a complete sentence. Of the words at the end, is there one you don't understand?

5. liber arce Member

Moscow
    Turkish
    You mean subordinate clause? Yes, every word and phrase separetely comprehensible. But all together it doesn't sense anything to me. :)

6. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    No, I mean the entire "sentence" you presented, saying nothing is missing from it (I realize in my prey of the spirits of the underworld, destroying the peace they'd found in life) is not a complete sentence.

"...destroying the peace they'd found in life" means that "they" (whoever "they" may be) had found peace in life (while living? in their lives?) but whoever or whatever is the subject of this phrase is destroying that peace or did destroy it while doing something else.

It really would be helpful to have full context, a complete sentence and even one or two sentences before or after.

7. liber arce Member

Moscow
    Turkish
    A magician is speaking. I hope this would help.

8. Oeco

Oeco Senior Member

Milwaukee, WI
    English - US
    I found the original TV script on-line (I hesitate to give the link as it is a real mess and opens a separate document for some reason). In context, this line still makes no sense to me. Here's what I could get following the line you quote:

9. Oeco

Oeco Senior Member

Milwaukee, WI
    English - US
    For what it's worth, liber_arce's rendering of the line is accurate to the script. It may be a rendering of the spoken line. Or, as I suspect, sloppy writing.