detect sarcasm

< Previous | Next >

Dmitry87

Russian - The Russian Federation
Hello, there!

Can I say "to catch or trace the hint of sarcasm " in a situation when I detect it?

These are examples I can think of off hand:
He was telling the story with absolutely serious face but the slightest hint of sarcasm could be caught (or traced);
"No girl stands a chance with a good looking guy like you!", said A, and the hint of sarcasm could be caught (or traced) in his voice.

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    Nope. It doesn’t quite work. It would make more sense to talk of a hint of sarcasm that could be detected in his voice or tone.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No.

He told me my painting was very good, but I caught (perceived) a trace (a small amount) of sarcasm in his voice.

Dmitry87

He told me my painting was very good, but I caught (perceived) a trace (a small amount) of sarcasm in his voice.
    Nope. It doesn’t quite work. It would make more sense to talk of a hint of sarcasm that could be detected in his voice or tone.
    Thank you, guys!
    And can a trace/hint of sarcasm be noticeable or discernable, as in "He talked with a noticeable / discernable hint of sarcasm", or it will be just noticeable or discernable sarcasm, without "a hint" which I think might confict with these words?

lingobingo

English - England
    I wouldn’t use your exact sentence. If you mention a hint of sarcasm, that hint must already have been perceived, so the adjectives are somewhat superfluous.

Sarcasm can certainly be described as discernible, but I can’t think of a situation in which the word noticeable would be a good fit. If you meant it was “obvious”, you’d use that word, or “marked”.

Dmitry87

I wouldn’t use your exact sentence. If you mention a hint of sarcasm, that hint must already have been perceived, so the adjectives are somewhat superfluous.

Sarcasm can certainly be described as discernible, but I can’t think of a situation in which the word noticeable would be a good fit. If you meant it was “obvious”, you’d use that word, or “marked”.
    Thanks again, Lingobingo! :)

< Previous | Next >