detection made at 870 mm

< Previous | Next >

spugnetta.rosa

italian
"First detection of the telescope 'has been made at' or 'was at' or 'was made at' 'was taken at' 870 mm "???
Wich is the correct one?
The correct verb and the correct tense?
A new telescope took its first photograph detecting light at 870 mm wavelength.
Thankyou!
Spugnetta

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Was at' and 'was made at' both work. Pictures were taken, but detection wasn't. Or detection occurred at that wavelength.

If you said 'has been made at', the perfect tense would imply it has some continuing effect in the present: perhaps now we know the telescope works, so we can open the champagne. (The first earth-like exoplanet has been detected around Gliese 51b: so now we know there is one.)

By the way, 'detection' would normally take the thing detected as its 'of'-complement (corresponding to the direct object of the verb): the telescope detected a quasar, so we talk about the telescope's detection of a quasar, or the detection by the telescope of a quasar.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    and I would suggest that "light with a wavelength of 870 mm" is better

Andygc

British English
    and I would suggest that "light with a wavelength of 870 mm" is better
    I wouldn't - 870 nanometres perhaps - if it's 870mm you need a radiotelescope, and you won't get photographs.

But that has nothing much to do with grammar or the use of English.

spugnetta.rosa

italian
    I wouldn't - 870 nanometres perhaps - if it's 870mm you need a radiotelescope, and you won't get photographs.

But that has nothing much to do with grammar or the use of English.
    By the way, it is a radiotelescope. Actually it is at 870 micrometers but it was unrelevant.

< Previous | Next >