determine on doing something [phrasal verb]

stevepham

vietnam
-Hello everyone, I have a question that I have been looking for answers, but I still can't find it. I searched in the dictionary but there was no definition of determine on doing something.

+we usuallly see people say "determine to do something = decide to do something". But what is "determine on doing something" mean. I heard an american said this but I don't know what it means, I looked for it in the dictionary but I didn't see where the definition was. :(

• Biffo

English - England
    It means the same as "determined to" the difference is that "doing" is a gerund and therefore requires a preposition.

kalamazoo

US, English
    One might say something like "I am determined to finish this task today" to mean that I have decided to really work hard and make sure I finish it.

Biffo

English - England
    I wouldn't say it ("determine on") that way and without further context would consider it unusual, if not an error.
    I'm not so sure. We can say "He determined on a course of action."

Why can't we determine on <gerund> ?

Last edited:

kalamazoo

US, English
    The "on" does not mean "when." "determined on doing x" is equivalent to 'decided to do x' with the additional suggestion of firm resolution to do something, so maybe you could say 'resolved to do x.' Guzman wanted to recall his sister to Spain and no one could talk him out of it.

< Previous | Next >