Determined Am I Now to Live All in Flame

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Glaire, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Glaire

Glaire Senior Member

Netherlands
    Français
    Hello!!

Translating Japorocksampler im stuk on this expression:
    "Determined Am I Now to Live All in Flame " and i dont know how to translate it. Is it a play on words with fame/flame? is it a current expression?
    I cant really provide any more context because this is a title of a part, it is about a band that became famous but briefly. if you want to know more, here you can read more...

I guess since it is the title of a part i could still change it by finding an equivalent but i want to be sure about the meaning first.

thanks in advance.!. :)

2. Carcassonnaise

Carcassonnaise Senior Member

France
    British English
    Hi Glaire. It's not an expression, current or otherwise. It sounds archaic, particularly the inversion of "determined am I now" and the expression "all in flame" ( which is an invention) - so it's someone playing with words, apeing a kind of poetic, lyrical English of several centuries ago. Also shades of the biblical for me.
    Now, as for how you translate it... :D

3. Carcassonnaise

France
    British English
    Actually, second thoughts, it might well be an actual quote from something - 17th century?? Shakespeare??

4. Glaire

Glaire Senior Member

Netherlands
    Français
    i tought about it too but i cant find it in google, and i dont know all 17th c texts by heart.. :D
    Maybe it's not a quote he just wants it to sound like it's 17th-y ???

5. Carcassonnaise

France
    British English
    Any chance you can go right to the horse's mouth and ask them? Anyone who has a contact with them who can ask?