Detoxication - detoxification

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Niko1, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Niko1 Member

Miskolc, Hungary
    Hungarian
    What is the exact difference between Detoxication - detoxification? (The dictionary was not too specific. )

2. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    I had never heard the word 'detoxication' before, but Wikipedia has this to say:

Detoxication differs from detoxification. Detoxification is the process of removing toxins from the body, while detoxication is the process of preventing toxic entities from entering the body in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detoxication

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    You live and learn, especially here!

I'd never heard "detoxication" either...

4. Niko1 Member

Miskolc, Hungary
    Hungarian
    Thank you!!!!

5. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Now I am rightly confused!
    I went off in search of some reason behind this curious distinction.
    Here's what the OED has to say under the entry for detoxicate, and note that there is no separate entry for detoxification, or for detoxify.
    I'm not at all happy with the Wiki definition. Are there any other sources that would support it?

1906 Practitioner Nov. 590 Focalisation of the infection in the liver, with disturbance of its detoxicating mechanism.
    1964 Economist 14 Mar. 1020/3 A toxic amine, which ordinarily is detoxicated in the liver.
    These OED examples suggest that detoxicate is used with a very similar meaning to detoxify - the removal of poisons.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  6. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    Isn't detoxify and the whole idea of "personal" detoxification just a marketing gimmick to sell dubious potions to gullible people? It had come to great popularity in recent years, but I don't think there is much real science in most of the claims for the mysterious processes now grouped under that word.

We're not full of "poisons" that our bodies are failing to eleminate, as a general rule!

7. pepperfire Senior Member

Canada - English & French
    Wikipedia is ONLY ever as good as their best contributor, they do not require facts to be evident, just that those facts be traceable.

8. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    I keep a Collins handy, and I have just looked it up. The words essentially mean the same thing! One is longer than the other, that is the only significant difference I could find.