detoxification centre

audiolaik

Polish
Hello,

Here in Poland, we have a special place for drunk people who either need medical help, are likely to hurt themselves or others, have broken the law or simply were found in the street. I've found detoxification centre. Does this place play a similar role in English speaking countries as in my place?

Thanks you!

• SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    In the U.S., it's called a "rehabilitation clinic", but we usually just say "rehab" for short.

John had some problems with drugs, so he went to rehab.

Yes, and no, audiolaik.

Detox(ification) centre/ward/clinic is equivalent to the Polish detox ward (in a hospital for example) or similar facility in a rehab clinic. These are mostly used for people coming off hard drugs (or sometimes a very extreme forms of alocholism) prior to undertaking a longer full rehab process (or prior to going back to drugs when the immediate medical emergency disappears).

I suspect - correct me if I am wrong - that you are looking for an English equivalent for Polish "Izba Wytrzezwien": a place where very drunk people are taken, mostly from the street or place where they are creating disturbance/nobody knows what to do with them etc, mostly by police. It doesn't provide actual medical detox, it's just a place (with a doctor and some paramedics on duty) to keep the extremely drunk until they sober up, especially ones that cannot be taken to where they live due to either being incoherent or/and not having any ID on them. I believe they do intervene if somebody goes into delirium.

As the institution doesn't exist in English, neither does a term. The best equivalent would be probably a "drying out centre". British expats I knew in Poland referred to it as a "White House" but it could have been a locally developed slang.

The_Red_Lion

England - English
    Just to add a little more.

In the UK you can be arrested for being "drunk and disorderly" particularly if you are a menace to others. In this case you may be taken to the police cells to sober up.

Or so I've heard anyway. ;)

SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    In the U.S., if an extremely drunk person is causing a disturbance, the police throw them in a special cell called the "drunk tank", to sober up. There's no medical assistance unless there's a life or death emergency, as far as I know.

audiolaik

Polish
    As the institution doesn't exist in English, neither does a term. The best equivalent would be probably a "drying out centre". British expats I knew in Poland referred to it as a "White House" but it could have been a locally developed slang.
    I do appreciate your kind input, MagdaDH!:)This is what I've been looking for!

In the U.S., if an extremely drunk person is causing a disturbance, the police throw them in a special cell called the "drunk tank", to sober up. There's no medical assistance unless there's a life or death emergency, as far as I know.
    I've seen somewhere this phrase, but I didn't know what it means!
    Thank you very much!

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Colloquial AE uses drunk tank for a police cell where disorderly drunks are locked up.
    A detox, or detoxification ward, is usually in a hospital or medical facility. A stay in one of these is typically for a few days, and involves medical supervision and treatment. A rehab or rehabilitation program can last from a week to a few months, and offers education and treatment for addiction. Rehabs are not the same as detox centers. A person must be detoxified prior to entering a rehab program.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    In the U.S., a detox center is a place where someone stays for a very short period of time while coming off of (i.e., detoxing from) drugs or alcohol. A rehab (rehabilitation facility, but "rehab" for short) is a place where people stay for 30 days or more to deal with their drug or alcohol problem.

< Previous | Next >