develop

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
“The new computers should challenge the sharpest mind to develop the cleverest.”
Can you give me the noun for “develop the cleverest……….”
Thanks

• mjscott

American English
    Not clear what you mean, mimi. I'm thinking
    The new computers should challenge the sharpest mind to develop into its most clever potential.?...
    ....into the most clever mind....

Which one do you want to become a noun--develop, or cleverest?

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    No, Tresley.
    I think this sentence is not clear.
    I don't know if it is "develop the cleverest mind, computers or something else."

Joelline

American English
    Hi,
    “The new computers should challenge the sharpest mind to develop the cleverest.”
    Can you give me the noun for “develop the cleverest……….”
    Thanks
    Mimi,

There are only 2 words that fit grammatically (and provides the parallelism you're looking for): "computers" or "mind," but the problem is that I'm not sure that either of these makes any sense. Is there a sentence before or after this one that could provide more context and more clarity?

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Joelline.
    I came across this sentence in an exercise book. I read it carefully and I saw that it was not clear. However, I am not sure about what I thought so I am asking you for help.

Joelline

American English
    I wish I could help, but I'm afraid you're first instinct was correct: it has to be "computers" or "mind," but I can't figure out which it might be because neither makes much sense. In this context, how could the sharpest mind develop the cleverest mind? (A sharp mind usually IS already a clever mind). Maybe the word should be "computers: I suppose the sharpest mind could develop the cleverest computers (with the aid of the new computer)??? sorry--I'am at a loss for further clarification.
    Joelline

ricardoii

Español - Colombia
    "The new computers should challenge the sharpest mind, to develop the cleverest"

Reorganize as follows I think:

"To develop the cleverest, the new computers should challenge the sharpest mind"

So the noun is the new computers.

I think the phrase is correct gramatically but is annoying in the first form.

< Previous | Next >