'developed film' and 'have film developed'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Dara53, Jan 8, 2015.

  1. Dara53 New Member

    Can I use the expression "developed film" meaning the film that is developed?

    If so, is this sentence "The woman is having 'developed film' " wrong?

    I found another sentence referring to the same thing which is "The woman is having film developed."

    What I really want to know is that in that sentence, "The woman is having film developed", why the word of 'developed' is placed behind noun "film".

    Is there any difference in the two sentence?
    1. "The woman is having 'developed film' "
    2. "The woman is having film developed"
  2. PaulQ

    PaulQ Senior Member

    English - England
    Yes. You cannot use the continuous tense with the verb "to have" if it means to possess.

    You can say, "The woman has developed film." This means (i) the woman possesses developed film. Here 'developed is an adjective and film is a noun. Or (ii) This woman has, at sometime in the past, developed some film."
    The sentence "The woman is having film developed" is in the causative voice. It really means "The woman is making arrangements for film to be developed"
    "The woman......is having.........film........developed."
    Subject........ auxiliary verb......object...past participle

    Dara53 is having his question answered -> Dara53 is making arrangements for his question to be answered.
    1. "The woman is having 'developed film' " <- this is wrong.
    2. "The woman is having film developed" <- this is correct.
  3. Parla Senior Member

    New York City
    English - US
    Welcome to the form, Dara. :)

    "The woman is having film developed" means that someone is processing (developing) the film for her; "developed" is a passive form of the verb. (She has evidently been taking photos with the kind of camera that uses film, not a digital camera.)

    You're trying to use "developed" as an adjective, and that doesn't work; we don't normally use the word that way. Once the film has been developed, we'd say that she has (possesses) the processed film.

  4. dadane Senior Member

    New Zealand
    English (London/Essex)
    I find that statement a little confusing. "Is the USA a developed country"?

    Nevertheless, I agree that processed is a better choice in this case.
  5. PaulQ

    PaulQ Senior Member

    English - England
    I cannot agree. "Developed film" is valid. Developed is also an adjective.


    Dense: 3. Photogr. Of a negative: Opaque in the developed film, so as to yield prints in which the lights and shades are well contrasted.

    pyrocarbonate, n. 1890 Anthony's Photogr. Bull. 3 312, I have developed a good many dozens of exposures, and with pyro-ammonia or pyro-carbonate I have not yet got an unevenly developed film.

    Elsewhere a Google Image search will return many examples of developed film. And at random: "How do I spool and store my developed film in the LomoKinoScope film container?" from the site Lomography: http://www.lomography.com/about/faq...oped-film-in-the-lomokinoscope-film-container
  6. Myridon

    Myridon Senior Member

    English - US
    Normally, not never. :) After I have film developed, I have negatives and prints. I don't generally call the negatives "developed film," but I'm sure some people (professional photographers, for example) do.
  7. PaulQ

    PaulQ Senior Member

    English - England
    The context in which you would use 'negatives' and 'developed film' is quite different: e.g. developed 35mm slides are 'developed film" but are not negatives.
  8. Packard

    Packard Senior Member

    USA, English
    "Developing film" is a process; "developed film" is film that has been through this process. If you want to have this process performed on your film, then you would ask to "have the film developed".

    Slides and film for projection are "positives", that is if you hold them up to the light you will see the same colors as when projected.

    "Negatives have the opposite colors or tones and color negatives have a masking color (usually orange) so that looking at negatives will not give you an accurate vision of what the image will look like when printed.

    To confuse things further, movies used to be shot on positive film ("chromes"), but most since the 1960s have been shot on negative film and the projection "chromes" were processed from the negatives.

    Early digital video was easily discerned from film, but newer videos can be quite convincing as film substitutes.
  9. Myridon

    Myridon Senior Member

    English - US
    Okay. If I have slide film, I receive slides. If I have movie film, I receive movies. :) The point still holds that "average" people do not "normally" refer to "developed film."
    (I haven't had either slides or movies developed since the late 1970's.)
  10. Packard

    Packard Senior Member

    USA, English
    Back in the 1960s when it was still illegal to mail pornography in the USA, there was a company that advertised monthly in the photography magazines called "The Latent Image". They would sell you "high quality images on undeveloped film".

    This conveniently skirted the law. (I never got a chance to buy a roll however.
  11. Parla Senior Member

    New York City
    English - US
    Having actually done (b/w) film processing, I can say that the phrase used after the film's been developed was normally "processed film".
  12. Packard

    Packard Senior Member

    USA, English
    Yes, if you were a photographer you first mounted the film on a reel or a frame, then the the first bath was water, the second bath was developer (I used Microdol X), then came the stop bath, and finally the fixer. After that you put the film in the drying cabinet and the cut the film to length and placed it in Glasine sleeves.

    If you did all these steps, then the film was "processed", only when you dunked the film in the developer was the film "developed". But for the general public the term is usually "developed" for this entire sequence of steps.

    NOTE: The above applies to black and white film. Color film has many more steps, most of which I've forgotten.

Share This Page