deviate vs stray to one side

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello, everyone:

My foreign friend drew a picture of half egg, I told him: "The yolk is not always at the center line, some yolk deviates/strays to one side. See, this picture shows a real life half egg. "

Is "deviate" or "stray" OK in this context? I wanted to emphasize it moves away from the middle line at which it is supposed to be.

Thank you.

images.png two-half-egg-9042157.jpg

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Deviates" is possible, I suppose; it's certainly better than "strays," which implies wandering. Both words, and your own post, however,imply that the yolk should be perfectly centered in the egg, which I don't think is true.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Deviates" is possible, I suppose; it's certainly better than "strays," which implies wandering. Both words, and your own post, however,imply that the yolk should be perfectly centered in the egg, which I don't think is true.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Indeed. There is no supreme power that dictates that the yolk should be precisely in the center.

"The yolk is not always at on the center line." is all you need.

lingobingo

English - England
    "The yolk is not always at the center line, some yolk deviates/strays to one side."

Is "deviate" or "stray" OK in this context? I wanted to emphasize it moves away from the middle line at which it is supposed to be.
    But it doesn't move anywhere, does it? Which is why, as Florentia says, you can't logically say that it "strays".

I would never think of using the word "deviate" either. It means to depart from an established course or from usual standards. And, as sdg says, that doesn't apply here.

A more direct way of saying it would be: the yolk of a hard-boiled egg is not always straight or central.

< Previous | Next >