devil rush

< Previous | Next >

helene james

français
Contexte: plusieurs jeunes s'apprêtent à sniffer une drogue. Cela se passe dans les années 80, et celui qui possède la poudre l'appelle "Devil Rush". Il faut dire qu'il est versé dans le "satanisme" de pacotille. "It's Devil Rush, dude, ever had it?" He poured the powdery stuff on its palm, leaned into it and made a shotgun of a snort. A ring of deep orange covered his nose and mouth."... Nous avons donc une poudre orange foncé.
L'effet décrit: "It shot straight into his brain, harsh as chlorine but with even more sting... It felt like his whole bloodstream had turned to hot tin... He lost his sight and stumbled to the ground... and then as soon as he thought he needed again, shoot himself and end this, came a big air bubble of relief that spread through him, soothed his veins, and he realized he'd been holding his breath and started gulping air, and then felt fucking good...He felft he was expanding, turning big, undeniable."...
The drug could be almost anything as far as I know, since the boy frow which point of view the scene is described is pretty green, and could get a harrowing high even from a not so powerful stuff, like weed (it's described somewhere else)
Still, here, they're on the verge of doing some weird animal sacrifice, and then there's the "deep orange" part, which seemingly excludes cocaine or the like. I was thinking maybe ketamine or that sort of stuff...
And also wondering if anyone ever heard of that phrase "Devil rush" or it is just something those teenagers made up to match their "devil fad"...
They're big fans of Slayer and the like, kill cows "for Satan"...
Thanks for your help

• XPditif

français (France)
    I found a chinese herb called devil's rush, junci setchuenensis/sutchuensis herba (bloody pinyin -- from Sichuan of course), but all the sites seem disabled.
    I know of pink ketamine, but keta doesn't sting.
    Good luck.

helene james

français
    Oh yeah, pink ketamine does exist? Could keta make an impression of sting though? I read about the Chinese herb on some obscure site, but it does more seem like an herbal tea than a drug... But who knows? Actually maybe the sting part is maybe intended to emphasize on the boy's feeling of overwhelming? To tell you the truth, I seriously doubt the writer has a first-hand experience of that drug, she seems pretty clean-cut to me. (I haven't neither, I admit)... But as I told , even her descriptions of some weed-high are sometimes pretty extreme, maybe because the boy she describes is really young and green. Actually, from the general context, it could either be a common 80's drugs (because they're basically teenagers who smoke a lot of weed and drink wine cooler, take cocaine occasionnally) - such as ketamine or the like, or some more rare indian plant, because the older kid who introduces them to that powder is of Indian descent, and he's the one that is into devil worshipping, though in a vague way... Thanks for your help anyway

XPditif

français (France)
    No, keta doesn't even make an impression of sting.
    The sting comes (oftenly) from acid components, like certain speeds, ecstasy (when snorted) (even cocaine sometimes), c vitamin (which I thought was the orange colour at first, but it's just ridiculous)... that literaly burn your inner ways (nose, throat, bronchial tubes...), like chlorine does (though chlorine is a base).

helene james

français
    oui, un genre de poppers, l'effet pourrait correspondre à la limite, mais il s'agit d'une poudre... et ça m'a l'air plus puissant... après tout peut-être est-ce une drogue inventée, mais quand même, j'en doute...

helene james

français
    Well, you're right, I don't know for sure, and that's part of what I was trying to figure out. The book is actually fiction, that's true, but it's generally nothing that couldn't have happened, the way it's presented... Nothing surreal, or unrealistic in there, except maybe part of the plot... so even though the name of the drug is very probably fictional, and it's probably all I have to know to translate the passage, I assumed it was derived from some actual substance... But actually, maybe not, and probably not since it does not seem to be mentioned anywhere else or ring any bell...
    Thank you very much for your help. This is pretty much what I wanted to make sure of

< Previous | Next >