devoir de réserve

STAG

France speaking French
Like in the army or in an administration.
Suis-je soumis à un "devoir de réserve" dans mon administration?
Would "duty of reserve" be acceptable? It looks so French!
Thanks for your help

• LV4-26

la reine victoria said:
    I think ''Will I be put on reserve duty . . . . . ?'' sounds better.

Please wait for more opinions.

LRV
    I'm not sure. Devoir de réserve has to do with secrecy, self-restraint. When you're hired as a civil servant you have to submit to this devoir de réserve. It means you must watch what you say to outsiders.

reserve duty , I'm afraid, only relates to serving in the Army or something.

LV4-26

Yes, I understand that's what put you on that track.
    But I don't think devoir de réserve has anything to do with being an army reservist.
    You're submitted to that devoir whenever you work for the state. (as a soldier, a teacher, a postman, a judge... or anything).
    I have no idea what the equivalent English expression could be. I just wanted to clear up the meaning of the French phrase.

STAG

France speaking French
    I just mentioned the army as an example but actually it concerns a civil servant in the schooling system ( I was insulted by a pupil, I had no support from my administration and I 'm considering about writting an article or at least a letter in a newspaper to expose the situation and put pressure on the headmaster and the administration...enough with my life (sorry)

Thank you LV.

In the UK, workers in the sensitive public sector, such as the Civil Service, have to sign the ''Official Secrets Act'' = ''devoir de réserve''.

They must never divulge to an outsider what they have seen or heard at work. To do so is a criminal act.

LRV

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    I think the catchphrase is "professional discretion" .

For example:
    High-level positions in government carry with them the obligation of professional discretion.
    OR
    Professional discretion is requisite/obligatory/compulsory in high-level governmental positions.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    I like confidentiality. How about:

Suis-je soumis à un "devoir de réserve": Am I bound by a requirement/ an obligation of confidentiality?

< Previous | Next >