di rilievo le pareti esterne

Iggy86

English
Hi there, I'm having a few problems with my translation and would be grateful for anyones help! When I looked up 'rivielo' is said relief but I can't seem to make sense of it and then then last part doesn't seem to fit in anyway :confused: Could I perhaps have gotten the meaning of 'come' confused? Thank you in advance

Lo stand dell’Umbria è ispirato alla eliminazione “di tutto il superfluo”; di rivielo le pareti esterne, rivestite da riproduzioni del ciclo francescano degli affreschi di Giotto, un forte elemento identitario dell’Umbria, come ha sottolineato lo stesso Oliviero Toscani, “Testimonial” di uno spot presentato in conferenza-stampa, che da domani sarà visibile su “Gambero Rosso Channel” (Canale 410 di Sky)

Umbria’s stand is inspired by the elimination “of all things superfluous” rilievo the external walls, covered by reproductions of Franciscan cycles of Giotto’s frescoes which are a strong identifying element of Umbria, as highlighted the same Oliviero Toscani, “testimonial” of a commercial presentented in press-conference, that will be shown tomorrow on the “Gambero Rosso Channel” (channel 410 on sky).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    De Mauro gives the following definition for di rilievo:
    di rilievo loc.agg.inv. CO importante: non ci sono notizie di r., autore di r. nel panorama giovanile | anche in relazione con un agg. che ne indica il grado di positività o negatività: un intervento di scarso r., un pensatore di grande r.
    Does that help?

I think the last part is which can be seen starting tomorrow on "Gambero Rosso Channel"...

Elisabetta

Hi there, I'm having a few problems with my translation and would be grateful for anyones help! When i looked up 'rivielo' is said relief but I can't seem to make sense of it and then then last part doesn't seem to fit in anyway :confused: Could I perhaps have gotten the meaning of 'come' confused? Thank you in advance

Lo stand dell’Umbria è ispirato alla eliminazione “di tutto il superfluo”; di rivielo le pareti esterne, rivestite da riproduzioni del ciclo francescano degli affreschi di Giotto, un forte elemento identitario dell’Umbria, come ha sottolineato lo stesso Oliviero Toscani, “Testimonial” di uno spot presentato in conferenza-stampa, che da domani sarà visibile su “Gambero Rosso Channel” (Canale 410 di Sky)

Umbria’s stand is inspired by the elimination “of all things superfluous” rilievo the external walls, covered by reproductions of Franciscan cycles of Giotto’s frescoes which are a strong identifying element of Umbria, as highlighted the same Oliviero Toscani, “testimonial” of a commercial presentented in press-conference, that will be shown tomorrow on the “Gambero Rosso Channel” (channel 410 on sky).
    Hi Iggy.

In this case, the phrase "di rilievo" means something along the lines of "of particular importance are...". I think you will see that the rest of the sentence will make sense. Also, I wouldn't translate "lo stesso Oliviero Toscani" with the same Oliviero Toscani because the meaning here of "stesso" is quite different from same; you could translate it with "the very Oliviero Toscani". Let's wait for other people's comments about this detail, though.

Regards,

ETT

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Just a clarifying question, ETT. In this context, where Oliviero Toscani has been mentioned earlier in the article, could lo stesso mean "the same Oliviero Toscani that we've been talking about"?

Elisabetta

Iggy86

English
    Ah ok, the first part has become very clear - I was completly on the wrong track!! But can I break it into two sentences because I don't understand how it is all linked. So it would be:

Umbria’s stand is inspired by the elimination “of all things superfluous”; of particular importancearethe external walls that are covered by reproductions of Franciscan cycles of Giotto’s frescoes, a strong identifying element of Umbria. This is highlighted on the very Oliviero Toscani, “testimonial” of a commercial presented in a press-conference, that will be shown tomorrow on the ‘Gambero Rosso Channel’ (channel 410 on sky).

But I am once again confused by what is actually going on. Is it a commercial in the form of a press conference??

Sorry for all my stupid questions!!

Just a clarifying question, ETT. In this context, where Oliviero Toscani has been mentioned earlier in the article, could lo stesso mean "the same Oliviero Toscani that we've been talking about"?

Elisabetta
    Hi Elisabetta.

I think that as a literal translation, "lo stesso" could mean the same, although it is clear from the text that Olviero Toscani is the same person they have mentioned previously; this would make the use of "lo stesso" pointless. I tend to think that "lo stesso" is employed here to emphasize that it is this famous person, again, who is doing the "testimonial" of the commercial.
    I know this is not a very clear explanation; however, my impression is that using the same gives a slightly different meaning to the English sentence. I hope someone else can come to our rescue. I am quite confused too, now!

Regards,

ETT

JanieJones

Italian
    You can definitely split the sentence as you did :)

The second part means they're gonna have a press-conference in which the commercial will be presented for the first time.
    "che da domani sarà..." refers to the "spot"

Ah ok, the first part has become very clear - I was completly on the wrong track!! But can I break it into two sentences because I don't understand how it is all linked. So it would be:

Umbria’s stand is inspired by the elimination “of all things superfluous”; of particular importancearethe external walls that are covered by reproductions of Franciscan cycles of Giotto’s frescoes, a strong identifying element of Umbria. This is highlighted on the very Oliviero Toscani, “testimonial” of a commercial presented in a press-conference, that will be shown tomorrow on the ‘Gambero Rosso Channel’ (channel 410 on sky).

But I am once again confused by what is actually going on. Is it a commercial in the form of a press conference??

Sorry for all my stupid questions!!
    I think here that the Regione Umbria is presenting its stand at the Vinitaly wine expo; to publicise the stand, they have organised a press-conference and produced a commercial, in which Oliviero Toscani appears. Since he is a quite prominent personality, they try to highlight his name wherever they can, to gain visibility!
    Splitting the sentence in two is actually a good move; I would just suggest you say something like "This last point is highlighted by the very Oliviero Toscani", because Toscani's words are chiefly about the idea that the frescoes are a strong identifying element.

Iggy86

English
    Oh my!! It was right there in front of me explaining it for me in black and white - doh!! Thank you :)

That's it , perfection :D

Grazie, grazie, grazie!

< Previous | Next >