diagnose evaluations, performance, factors, etc.

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, I saw this sentence "Review and diagnose the survey results" in an online article titled Customer Service Indicators – Raise the Bar, and am wondering if "diagnose" is the right verb to use with survey results. The majority of the dictionaries I have checked only use "diagnose" for medical symptoms and computer/car problems, so I'd like to know if the verb can also be used in the following examples which I created myself. Please imagine them showing up in a survey report.

1. We diagnosed the respondents' evaluations very carefully.
2. We diagnosed the overall performance
(or strengths and weaknesses) of Brand X.
3. We diagnosed the factors driving the purchase of Product X, and the top 3 factors were "attractive design," "user-friendliness," and "reasonable price."

• meijin

Japanese
    Let me know if I should add anything or if there is anything that is difficult to understand. Even a reply like "We usually don't use 'diagnose' for those things, but I think it's OK in marketing-related documents" would be helpful.

lingobingo

English - England
    "Diagnose" is being used in the sense of "analyse", but that usage is odd. In all your examples, analyse would be better.

Andygc

British English
    "Analyse" - an examination tells you what is there. It does not include drawing conclusions from the data (which is what making a diagnosis is).

lingobingo

English - England
    Would "examine" work in the above examples?
    If you mean in your sentences 1, 2 and 3, yes, you could use the word examine there (to mean examine, not diagnose!).

But if you mean could you replace diagnose with examine in the original phrase you were asking about — Review and examine the survey results — then it would not make much sense.

Review = inspect again / assess
    Examine = inspect
    Analyse = examine (something) methodically and in detail, typically in order to explain and interpret it
    Diagnose = identify the nature of (a problem) by examination of the symptoms

< Previous | Next >