diagnose

< Previous | Next >

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
Hi, everyone,
A friend of mine has told me that the noun 'diagnostication' does not sound like natural English, so I wonder what other words with the same meaning- the act of putting a diagnose- are better than this.
And what exactly is the difference b/n 'diagnose' and 'diagnosticate'?
Thank you

• xrayspex

USA English (southern)
    And what exactly is the difference b/n 'diagnose' and 'diagnosticate'?

Diagnose is correct. There is no word "diagnosticate".

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    tHANK YOU, so if I want to make the verbal noun from 'diagnose' it won't be 'diagnosticate' but 'puttinf diagnose'.Right?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Diagnosticate and diagnostication, as synonyms for diagnose and diagnosis, have been found in the past, in apparently-reputable journals.
    They would now be considered bizarre, though they would be readily understood.

sloopjc

UK English
    Diagnosticate and diagnostication, as synonyms for diagnose and diagnosis, have been found in the past, in apparently-reputable journals.
    They would now be considered bizarre, though they would be readily understood.
    Then we end up with Bush-isms such as "diagnostify".

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Thank you all.
    Well, I have to translate the services a medical center offers, one of which id putting diagnoses. Since 'putting diagnoses' does not sound quite right to me I came up with 'diagnostication' though the dictionaries differ on this.
    So, finally, am I to list : our center offers a wide range of services such as putting diagnoses...?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... wide range of services including diagnosis ...
    - or I would prefer -
    ... wide range of services including diagnostic testing ...

(It would have been helpful to have given us this information right at the beginning.)

< Previous | Next >