diagnosis / diagnostics

ayers

French & Polish
"re -hello"

I have an other problem this evening :(;
What is the difference between diagnosis and diagnostics? And diagnosing; when should it be used?

Is diagnostics the science of diagnoses?
( and I am totally lost for "diagnosing" ... :$ )

re- thanks for help :)

• se16teddy

English - England
    Well what I was going to say, before I decided it was probably an over-simplification, was:
    - Diagnostics is a science or art.
    - When you apply that science or art you diagnose or do a diagnosis. What you are doing is diagnosing.
    - The result of that work is a diagnosis.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    - J'ai aussi trouvé nosologie comme traduction du domaine diagnostics (on s'écarte)
    - diagnostic : diagnostique (adj)
    - diagnosis : diagnostic (nm)
    - diagnose : diagnostiquer, établir ou poser un diagnostic

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    • Diagnostics is the theory and science of discovering the nature of an illness. E.g. The students has an exam in diagnostics.
    • A diagnosis is a single decision by a doctor, as to the nature of an illness. E.g. Dr Smith's diagnosis was that she had angina. (Plural: diagnoses)
    • To diagnose is the verb. E.g. The doctors were unable to diagnose my problem.
    • Diagnosing is the present participle of the verb, but also a noun. E.g. Diagnosing meningitis is difficult.

kuckunniwi

English, Spanish, Catalan & Gibberish
    • Diagnostics is the theory and science of discovering the nature of an illness. E.g. The students has an exam in diagnostics.
    • A diagnosis is a single decision by a doctor, as to the nature of an illness. E.g. Dr Smith's diagnosis was that she had angina. (Plural: diagnoses)
    • To diagnose is the verb. E.g. The doctors were unable to diagnose my problem.
    • Diagnosing is the present participle of the verb, but also a noun. E.g. Diagnosing meningitis is difficult.

So, for instance, [the science of] molecular diagnostics allowed the doctors to reach a [molecular] diagnosis ?

Or: Since the doctors couldn't seem to correctly diagnose my condition (namely, no actual diagnosis being yielded by all their diagnosing), I decided to change to another branch of diagnostics.

Would these be correct? Thanks, Keith! :)