Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
If it is written as "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders," will the meaning remain the same? Does "of" mean "concerning, about" here? "For" also refers to "concerning" sometimes. But it seems to me that "of" and "for" are not exchangeable here.

Thanks in advance
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV)

Psychiatric Diagnoses are categorized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th. Edition. Better known as the DSM-IV, the manual is published by the American Psychiatric Association and covers all mental health disorders for both children and adults. It also lists known causes of these disorders, statistics in terms of gender, age at onset, and prognosis as well as some research concerning the optimal treatment approaches.

Source

PS:

The background of this thread: As I read DSM-IV in an article in The Lancet, I remembered that it means "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders, 4th Edition." It turns out that my memory is not accurate enough. The search result shows that it should be "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition," hence the thread.

Last edited:
  • aceofpace

English (American)
    They are slightly different in meaning. "for" could indicate the target OR "concerning or about" which is what "of" means.

Example: A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations

But like I said it could also mean "concerning" as in A Laboratory Manual for Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy.

For the latter meaning "of" is more commonly used.

< Previous | Next >