Dialects and Languages in Egypt

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    We can't say that egyptian and sa3eedi are 2 different dialects, for sa3eedi IS on the the Egyptian dialectS. People in Cairo speak a different accent or dialect than those in the villages (falla7iin), other than that of sa3eed (which begins at Bany-Sweif, south of Giza), people of Alexandria use some different words, pronounce some words a little bit differently from those of Cairo.
    It's a bit like in almost every country : each region of any given country has its distinctif way of pronounciation.

Hope I didn't talk too much :D

al-sarbi

Serbian
    When I said Egyptian I had Cairene(Delta) Arabic in mind. Thanks, you are helpful as always.
    By the way, you mentioned difference between Alex and Cairo. What are the main distinctions? The only difference I know is hatmaTTar vs. Hatshiti and H (7) vs. h for future tense. can you tell me few more?

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    al-sarbi said:
    When I said Egyptian I had Cairene(Delta) Arabic in mind.
    I though you did, but just wanted to make sure :)

al-sarbi said:
    By the way, you mentioned difference between Alex and Cairo. What are the main distinctions?
    You can't imagine how pleased I am to find someone so "knowledgeable" and interested in my country's dialect :)
    Well, for the differences, i don't have much on my mind right now, but will try to give some examples. If I remember anything more i'll post it here :
    besella (cairo) - bezella (alex)
    arnabiit (C.) - karnabit (A.)

this for different letters. Now the harder ones to explain : sounds :
    - shaay (C.) - shayy (A.) (tea) (long vowel in Cairo, simple ya2 at the end, shorter vowel in Alex with stressed ya2)
    - wa2fa (standing up-feminine form, i'm not sure if it's the same with masculine) the (a) is pronounced in Cairo like (at in English) and in Alex it's more like (are): longer and more "profound"
    Same goes with Wednesday (el-arba3) a more "from the throat" a in Alex.

Josh_

U.S., English
    cherine said:
    You can't imagine how pleased I am to find someone so "knowledgeable" and interested in my country's dialect :)
    I thought I had mentioned it somewhere, but maybe not. I am actually fluent in the Egyptian Arabic dialect. I have been speaking it for about five years and spent six months in Egypt. I actually learned that dialect before starting on Modern Standard. I desperately want to go back to Egypt, but am unable to at this time.

As for the variations in Egypt I have heard that in sa3eedi the qaaf is generally pronounced (at least more so than in Cairo) or sometimes pronounced like a g as in "galb" instead of "qalb" for heart. I never made it down (or more rather up) to upper Egypt though so I can not be sure.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Of course Josh :) I know you are. I think i should've said : someoe BESIDES Josh Adkins :) I think you should tell us about your experience some day, if you have the time.
    As for the sa3idi accent, I don't think they pronounce the (q), they say it (g) :
    galb (heart), galam (pen) .....
    Some of them even pronounce it (d) (but not in all the words) :
    dalbi (instead of qalbi/2albi)
    Derda (a town called Gerga)

Further note about "laguages" in Egypt : Do you guys know that in Egypt there are other languages than Arabic : In Nuba (the furthest point to the south in Egypt, after Aswan) they speak Nubi, in Siwa (a fabulous fascinating oasis in the Western Desert) they speak siwi. These languages are oral; i.e. not written. A nubian friend of mine told me that they started using the coptic alphabet to transcribe their language, in a essay to preserve it from extinction

al-sarbi

Serbian
    cherine said:
    Of course Josh :) I know you are. I think i should've said : someoe BESIDES Josh Adkins :) I think you should tell us about your experience some day, if you have the time.
    As for the sa3idi accent, I don't think they pronounce the (q), they say it (g) :
    galb (heart), galam (pen) .....
    Some of them even pronounce it (d) (but not in all the words) :
    dalbi (instead of qalbi/2albi)
    Derda (a town called Gerga)

Further note about "laguages" in Egypt : Do you guys know that in Egypt there are other languages than Arabic : In Nuba (the furthest point to the south in Egypt, after Aswan) they speak Nubi, in Siwa (a fabulous fascinating oasis in the Western Desert) they speak siwi. These languages are oral; i.e. not written. A nubian friend of mine told me that they started using the coptic alphabet to transcribe their language, in a essay to preserve it from extinction
    I think that I even know one word in Nubi. It is TEGOS. I think that it means SIT DOWN. A receptionist in a hotel in Aswan told me that. Ask your friend whether I'm right or wrong.

Josh_

U.S., English
    cherine said:
    Of course Josh :) I know you are. I think i should've said : someoe BESIDES Josh Adkins :) I think you should tell us about your experience some day,
    Ooh. I couldn't quite remember if I had told you so I figured I would mention it.

< Previous | Next >