dialog attribution

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
I am really struggling to grasp the meaning and the usage of 'dialogue attribution', more specifically the 'attribution' word. Here 's the source text from On Writing by Stephen King:

When debating whether or not to make some pernicious dandelion of an adverb part of your dialogue attribution, I suggest you ask yourself if you really want to write the sort of prose that might wind up in a party-game. Some writers try to evade the no-adverb rule by shooting the attribution verb full of steroids. The result is familiar to any reader of pulp fiction or paperback originals: ‘Put down the gun, Utterson!’ Jekyll grated. ‘Never stop kissing me!’ Shayna gasped. ‘You damned tease!’ Bill jerked out. Don’t do these things. Please oh please. The best form of dialogue attribution is said , as in he said, she said, Bill said, Monica said .

Can you please share some sentences with the word attribution.

Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Dialogue attribution is how someone says something. "Give me the plans!" He sneered cruelly.

Two elements of dialogue attribution are the verb and the adverb.

The verb and the adverb are attributes of the way the dialogue is spoken.

The Newt

English - US
    When you attribute dialogue to someone you connect the speech to the speaker: "These weasels are far too frisky!," Randolph exclaimed merrily.

< Previous | Next >