Dick and Jane's Language

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
Hi all
in the following context:

Which specific issues and challenges will be espoused and championed? and which issues will the new party bring forth using the street and folkore level of operation? (Dick and Jane's language, in the US jargon). Use of plain language.
Q: is what does "Dick and Jane's language" stand for? If it means simple language ( as I assume), why there is a repetition using the word "plain"?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    From Wikipedia: Dick and Jane were the main characters in popular basal readers written by William S. Gray and Zerna Sharp[1] and published by Scott Foresman, that were used to teach children to read from the 1930s through to the 1970s in the United States.

There is much more on that link -- they're quite famous books in the U.S.

It is hard to tell what you mean by the repetition of the word "plain" -- it only occurs once. If you're asking why both "Dick and Jane's language" and "plain language" are used if they mean the same thing, I imagine it is for the benefit of people who aren't familiar with the cultural reference. If you mean something else, perhaps you can clarify.

Your underlining, however, makes it look like they're URL links in the source material. If that's true, then they probably link to different pages. (I tend to avoid underlining on the forum because it looks like links.)

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
    Thanks Copyright!
    I viewed the Wikipedia page before posting the thread. Then I think that you agree with me that the two bold and undelined phrases ( done only by me) have equal meaning.

< Previous | Next >