dictate against

< Previous | Next >

lilitao

living in shanghai- French native language
I am trying to translate from english to French. Some kind people in French-English forum suggest me to ask my question in this forum.

In the following sentence I am not sure to understand "dictate against"
certain aspects of the democratic process that have previously been subverted to permit minority positions to dictate against policies for the good of the majority are now being reigned in.

My translation :
Certains aspects du processus démocratique qui avait été précédemment subvertis pour permettre à des positions minoritaires de dicter des politiques contre le bien de la majorité sont aujourd’hui rétablis.

Well, I am not sure for rétablis neither.
Thanks

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    In the following sentence I am not sure to that I understand "dictate against"
    certain aspects of the democratic process that have previously been subverted to permit minority positions to dictate against policies for the good of the majority are now being reigned in.
    Thanks
    It's no wonder that you're having problems, Lilitao! This sentence is highly convoluted as it stands and needs ruthless editing.

Regardless, to "dictate against" simply means that they have the power to present opposition to policies that are to the benefit of the majority of people.

This is a horrible sentence - "dictate against" is an odd phrase, to say the least, as is "minority positions". Perhaps other context justifies these phrases.

As you know, this is the "English Only" forum so I can't help you with your translation into French.

JeffJo

USA
    USA, English
    The "dictates" are apparently governmental. Is that right?

One possibility:

dictate against = govern contrary to

lilitao

living in shanghai- French native language
    thank you both. Your answers are helping a lot.
    This sentence deals with Political modernization in India.

Indeed I don't understand reigned in neither. It seems to me that reined could be better. What do you think ?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    thank you both. Your answers are helping a lot.
    This sentence deals with Political modernization in India.

Indeed I don't understand reigned in neither. It seems to me that reined could be better. What do you think ?
    You're right - it should be "reined". This sentence is really awful and I don't envy you your task.:)

< Previous | Next >