''Did he gets the position by hard earned or endowed/ given?''

< Previous | Next >

nylg85

Chinese
''Did he gets the position by hard earned or endowed?'' Endowed or conferred or given? which one is more natural?

In fact, I doubt if it sounds natural at all.

I'm asking the question here because there was a time someone told me that somebody else has obtained a job position which sounds unlikely possible. So, I was going to ask again for sure. But I was tongue tied at that time because I wasn't sure how to say it properly. Thanks

• nylg85

Chinese
    One thought: Did he get the position on merit, or was it handed/given to him?
    Great! Thanks

And Could I say "He got the position by default.'' If the person got the position because the rest of the candidates have been disqualified by other reasons not because of capability. Could I say '' He got the job by default.'' to indicate the job was given to him not on merit?

Copyright

American English
    Could I say "He got the position by default.'' If the person got the position because the rest of the candidates have been disqualified by other reasons not because of capability. Could I say '' He got the job by default.'' to indicate the job was given to him not on merit?
    Yes ... although he presumably had some talent to be in the running at all. :)

< Previous | Next >