Did I feel like that, then I would go.

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by F4sT, Dec 11, 2005.

1. F4sT

F4sT Senior Member

Venice
    Italy
    ciauz,
    "Did I feel like that, then I would go."
    volevo sapere perché la frase inizia con il "did" visto che non c'è un punto di domanda..:confused:
    potreste spiegarmelo?
    grazie in anticipo :)
    F4sT

2. jupa

jupa Senior Member

English-United States
    That's a good question F4st! You're right in the fact that "did" at the beginning of a sentence indicates a question. This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it should have been, "If I feel like that, then I will go."
    ("If,then" is a common sentence pattern, so that's my best guess.)

Good luck,
    Julia

3. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    la traduzione precisa dipende dal contesto,
    comunque è del tipo
    se me la sentissi allora ci andrei

4. F4sT

F4sT Senior Member

Venice
    Italy
    tnx u very much Jupa and Alfry.
    so Do you think that it's not correct? is it like that?
    tnx again.

5. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    io credo sia corretto,

spesso ho letto mail inviatemi da madrelingua in cui c'erano frasi del tipo
    should you... I would...

credo che siano usate in contesti piuttosto formali, ma, ovviamente un madrelingua è più autorevole di me in queste cose.

6. "Did I feel like that, then I would go" is indeed not the way most English speakers would say it -- in fact, it would sound quite foreign.

To be correct, you would say, "If I felt like that, then I would go" to express that you probably are NOT going, or, "If I feel like that, then I will go" to express uncertainty about whether you are going, but to state the condition under which you might go.

If you wish to include "did", it would have to be as an emphasis, perhaps in response to a challenge: "Don't you think your mother will be disappointed if you do not come?" "If I did feel like that, then I would go" (or "If I do feel like that, then I will go").

Does this make it any clearer? If not, I'll try again -- or better yet we'll wait for lsp or Charles to wield their superior rhetorical skills on our behalf.

7. jupa

jupa Senior Member

English-United States
    E' corretto l'uso di "I would," pero' non con "did". Secondo me, la frase "Did I feel like that, I would go" non ha senso. Come ho detto primo, provi forse, "If I feel like that(it), I would go." Anche si puo' dire "If I feel like it, I will go."

Julia

8. F4sT

F4sT Senior Member

Venice
    Italy
    capisco :)
    grazie a tutti ^__^

9. Javiergonrol New Member

Newcastle upon tyne
    Spanish - Spain
    Ciao a tutti!

Sono di accordo con jupa, non ha molto senso se dici "Did I feel like that, I would go". Comunque credo che si puó trovare scritto; mai nella vita quotidiana! Infatti credo che puó essere anche formale in qualche senso, ma non sto sicuro.

Buona sera!
    Javiergonrol

10. It occurs to me that in Shakespeare-era English someone might say, "Did I feel like that, I would go" although "feel like that" was not much employed at that period of time (more likely the Bard would write, "Did I feel thus, I should attend").

11. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    Completely agree, carrick; it has an antiquated structure but modern words ("feel like that"). I can hear a Bronte heroine saying "Did I but feel as he did, I would go to him at once," but I can't see the sentence as written being correct in our era, or any previous one.

12. Great! A few hundred more pages of this stuff and you'll have a movie starring Keira Knightley or Winona Ryder. And that's not a bad thing.

13. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Carrickp, I think you did a much better job at explaining that than I would have done.

14. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    My sentiments exactly with regard to my contribution, carrickp!