Did I miss or Have I missed?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Amber_1010, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Amber_1010 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese-Cantonese
    When I go inside a room and everyone is upset. Then I asked:
    1. Did I miss something?
    2. Have I missed something?

Which one is correct? Could both be acceptable? Personally, I think so. Because the "Have I missed something", you missed something in the past, and you still "missed" it?
    Do I get it wrong? Please explain.

Thank you.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    They may both be correct, but the usual question for me is #1.

3. MadinaUS Senior Member

West Coast, US
    American / United States / CA English

Did I miss or Have I missed?
    When I go inside a room and everyone is upset, should I say:
    1. Did I miss something?
    2. Have I missed something?

#1 is correct.

You are referring to the past. From 1pm to 2pm the people were sitting in the room. At 1:30, someone announces very bad news. You come in at 2:01, thus, you are referring to the past. It's the most common way to ask this question. (I don't know if you use military time? I hope this was not confusing.)

If you come to class 5 minutes late, you say to your classmate, "Have I missed anything?" or "Did I miss anything?" The first one (present perfect) means in the past up to this present moment. They both generally mean the same thing in this example. (Presente perfect generally means in the past up to the present.) ​

MD

4. Amber_1010 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese-Cantonese
    Dear Madina,

So does it mean that if a train goes at 2:00, and I come at 2:05, Then I'll asked " Did I miss the train?" ?

Thank you

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Yes, for me, "Did I miss the train?" But "Have I missed the train?" is also correct.

6. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    I agree with Copyright. Both are correct.

7. MadinaUS Senior Member

West Coast, US
    So does it mean that if a train leaves at 2:00, and I come at 2:05, then I would ask, "Did I miss the train?"

"Did I miss the train?" - is correct.
    You could also say, "Have I missed the train?" << I kind of feel like this is more emphatic / emotional. "Oh my, have I missed the train? Could it be?"
    It's a very, very slight difference and could go either way depending on who you ask. (There is a difference between the 2 though.)

If you come into a room and everyone is quiet, you would say, "Did I miss something?" << This is very common. "Have I missed something?" is okay, but slightly means something different.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    For me there is no difference in meaning between Did I miss something? and Have I missed something? Similarly with missing the train - I see no difference at all.

9. MadinaUS Senior Member

West Coast, US
    It's a very subtle difference, not relevant to many native speakers. There's obviously a reason for the difference in tense, but semantically, it doesn't make a big difference.

Did - strictly past (Did I miss something? (in the past, which is done and gone)
    Have I missed something? - literally means - Did I miss something in the past continuing up until the present moment - hence, present perfect. :)

:D

10. MarineCorps New Member

India - Hindi & English
    ...Americans don't understand Perfect Tense. It's a fact. :)
    So, Did I miss something? is right!

But, if you include time in your sentence then you have to use Perfect Tense.
    Have I missed something today? Because today is not over yet. You still can miss something.

#1 is correct.
    #2 only if time is included in your sentence. If you still can miss something.

11. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    We don't use "Did I missed something?" for any reason, although "Have I missed something?" or "Have I missed anything"" are possible.

12. MarineCorps New Member

India - Hindi & English

Ups, sorry!
    Did I miss something.

Something went wrong.

13. MarineCorps New Member

India - Hindi & English
    So, Did I miss the train? (you can't miss the train any more, you are on the train station now)
    So, Did I miss something? (in the class, you can't miss the lecture any more, you are in the class now) :)

Like I sad, #1 is correct, unless we include time in the sentence.