did not claim

< Previous | Next >

TORNASSOL

Spanish (Spain)
Doubt: I'm trying to translate this did not claim he understood science into Spanish.

Context: (Someone explains to Peter that scientists are about to discover the nuclear bomb and Peter pretends not to believe it).
“Hmm.” Peter was pretending to be doubtful about the nuclear bomb, but in truth he found it all too credible. Even the dictator’s greatest admirers—a group that included Peter’s father —did not claim he understood science. And it was all too easy for an autocrat to ignore anything that made him uncomfortable.

Translation: Incluso los admiradores más fervientes del dictador —entre los que había su padre— no le exigían que entendiera la ciencia. Y para un autócrata era demasiado fácil ignorar todo cuanto les resultara incómoco.

¿Cuando dice este he understood science, el "he" se refiere al dictador?

Gracias,

• Sunshine on Leith

Spain's Spanish
    Doubt: I'm trying to translate this did not claim he understood science into Spanish.

¿Cuando dice este he understood science, el "he" se refiere al dictador?

Gracias,
    I think we would need more context to be certain. From the small extract you provide, Peter could be the dictator/autocrat.

Also, I think it should be like this:

Incluso los admiradores más fervientes del dictador —entre los que había estaba/se encontraba su padre...... Y para un autócrata era demasiado fácil ignorar todo cuanto le resultara incómodo.

< Previous | Next >