- Did not ! - Did too !

almufadado

Português de Portugal
In a American tv soap, the brother caught her sister kissing her boyfriend on the front yard.

At the dinner table, he decides to tell his parents what he saw her sister do:

- I saw Mary kiss john ! - in a provoking tone

- Did not ! - she quickly replies

- Did too ! - he strikes back

- Did not ! - get hungrier

- Did too ! -

The parents intervene so to stop the brawl.

Can someone explain to me what is or where it comes from, this particle "too" in this anwser ?

In this case, "Too" can not be substituted by "also" ... so what is the meaning of "too" here ? (most dictionaries do not offer an "acceptable" definition)

PS : I do understand the general meaning and can definitely translate it to my language. I find it awkward because generally, one hears :

- (I) did not !
- Yes, you did !

• lian.alon22

US
    US-English
    Well, that's exactly what it means. "Did too" is a sort of slang way of saying "yes, you did", but it's quicker, so in an argument people often tack "too" onto the end of an affirmative. I think children started it, but you can hear lots of people saying it.

St. Nick

English
    "Too" means 'indeed' or 'so' in this context, in fact, "You did so!" is heard just as frequently as "You did too!" in similar situations.

almufadado

Português de Portugal
    "Too" means 'indeed' or 'so' in this context, in fact, "You did so!" is heard just as frequently as "You did too!" in similar situations.
    Replaced with "so" makes sense too ! And it seems it's more of an American idiom, too.

Thank you folks !

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    In a American tv soap, the brother caught her sister kissing her boyfriend on the front yard.

At the dinner table, he decides to tell his parents what he saw her sister do:
    Remember to match the gender of the possessive pronoun to the 'owner', in this case the brother - the higllighted words should be his.

"Did too!" sounds very American to me.
    "Did so!" is what kids from Ireland, and I believe the UK, would say.

< Previous | Next >