did the glorious Greek of old fancy

< Previous | Next >

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is cited from Wellingborough Redburn by Hermann Melville (1849)

Question: In this sentence, since I saw the word “did” I expect another verb1! But it continues with “to be”? What I got it from this: Greek fancy did not do (or bring forward that theory) “the human soul to be essentially a harmony” in merely… Am I right?

Not in a spirit of foolish speculation altogether, in no merely transcendental mood, did the glorious Greek of old fancy the human soul to be essentially a harmony. And if we grant that theory of Paracelsus and Campanella, that every man has four souls within him;

• Chez

English English
    The collocation of the words is:

Not in a spirit of foolish speculation altogether/did the glorious Greek of old/fancy the human soul to be essentially a harmony.

A rough translation:

It was not simply foolish speculation when the ancient Greeks thought/imagined the human soul as a 'harmony'.

'fancy' = imagine

lingobingo

English - England
    It’s a fairly standard use of inversion, with the adverbial matter fronted for emphasis:

Not in a spirit of foolish speculation altogether, in no merely transcendental mood, …
    (= Not just frivolously…)
    did the glorious Greek of old fancy (= imagine/consider) the human soul to be essentially a harmony.

< Previous | Next >