did they be worth shooting

Yichen

Chinese
Hello everyone,

Ah has said time an’ again, it doan do no good doin’ nuthin’ fer w’ite trash. Dey is de shiflesses, mos’ ungrateful passel of no-counts livin’. An’ Miss Ellen got no bizness weahin’ herseff out waitin’ on folks dat did dey be wuth shootin’ dey’d have niggers ter wait on dem. An’ Ah has said---’ (Gone with the wind)

I think this passage basically means the following:= I has said time and again, it don't do no good doing nothing for white trash. They is the shiftless, most ungrateful passel of no-accounts living. And Miss Ellen got no business wearing herself out waiting on folks that did they be worth shooting they'd have niggers to wait them. And I has said...

My puzzle is about this: "did they be worth shooting they'd have niggers to wait them".
Is it an attributive clause that modifiers the folks? Or Is it the "effect" part on condition of the part "they'd have niggers to wait them" ?
I have never seen this "did" before, totally confused.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    My puzzle is about this: "did they be worth shooting they'd have niggers to wait them".///Is it an attributive clause that modifiers the folks? Or Is it the "effect" part on condition of the part "they'd have niggers to wait them" ?///I have never seen this "did" before, totally confused.///Thank you.
    Hi, Yichen. Here's my interpretation of that sentence: If they were worth shooting, they would have black servants. The speaker apparently believes that wealthy people are the only people who are worth the trouble of shooting. I suppose the broader meaning could be "If they were worth anything, they would have black servants."

I'll leave it to braver souls to attempt a grammatical analysis of this interesting sentence. :)

Yichen

Chinese
    Got it.Thank you.(I have installed another explorer. Hope the formatting will be OK.)

< Previous | Next >