did <they> rise

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hi, people. Does "they" work here. Does "they" refer to the amounts of water used for industrial and residential purposes even though there are no exactly the same red words in the first clause?

Less than 100 km3 of water were used for either industrial or residential purposes in 1900. Not until around 1950 did they rise significantly, reaching by 2000 roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3, respectively.
water copy.jpg

• Kacy.H

Chinese
    No, it doesn't work, I'm afraid. I think you want something like " usage".
    Thank you very much. I don't need any reference like "their usage"? I just use "usage" and readers would know I'm talking about industrial and residential usage?

Less than 100 km3 of water was used for either industrial or residential purposes in 1900. Not until around 1950 did usage rise significantly, reaching by 2000 roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3, respectively.

pimlicodude

British English
    Thank you very much. I don't need any reference like "their usage"? I just use "usage" and readers would know I'm talking about industrial and residential usage?

Less than 100 km3 of water was used for either industrial or residential purposes in 1900. Not until around 1950 did usage rise significantly, reaching by 2000 roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3, respectively.
    Or you could say "the figure".
    But you've got two figures here for industrial and residential. And it strikes me as odd that you talk of 1950 and then go on to talk of 2000.
    Not until around 1950 did water consumption rise significantly, eventually reaching (by 2000) roughly 1000 km3 for the former and 500 km3 for the latter respectively.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    But you've got two figures here for industrial and residential. And it strikes me as odd that you talk of 1950 and then go on to talk of 2000.
    Not until around 1950 did water consumption rise significantly, eventually reaching (by 2000) roughly 1000 km3 for the former and 500 km3 for the latter respectively.
    Thanks very much for this version.

But you've got two figures here for industrial and residential.
    Do you mean if I use "the figure", it would refer to "100 km3" in the first sentence? However, there are two figures in the second sentence. Therefore "the figure" is not ideal?

pimlicodude

British English
    Thanks very much for this version.

Do you mean if I use "the figure", it would refer to "100 km3" in the first sentence? However, there are two figures in the second sentence. Therefore "the figure" is not ideal?
    Yes, that's what I meant, but you may get other replies from others.