Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 24

Quotation:

The truest love that ever heart
Felt at its kindled core,
Did through each vein, in quickened start,
The tide of being pour.

<——-Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Context: The sweet song (or rather, the poetry) Mr. R was singing.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. Poetries, I suppose, are the nightmare for most of English learners. :confused::oops: I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

Being => conscious, mortal existence; life:
The whole sentence => The truest love that each heart always (= ever) felt at its kindle core (the core of passion), It (=the truest love) was the tide of life that poured through each veil (like blood) as the heartbeat began to accelerate.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • sampathronjay

Sinhala
    Can anyone explain these two lines? I don't quite agree with what Irelia has said.

in quickened start,
    The tide of being pour.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If we rearrange the lines into a more normal word order:

The truest love that ever heart felt at its kindled core
    poured the tide of being
    through each vein
    in quickened start.

True love stimulated the heart to pour "the tide of being" through each vein, in quickened start.

Love is life-giving: it pours the tide of life through every vein. It's as though love gives new life to the body, and "quick" has two meanings - fast and alive. The heart is traditionally seen both as the body organ and as the seat of the emotions, especially love, but here it isn't just a metaphor: love stimulates the heart and the flow of blood, producing physical invigoration.

I imagine that "quickened start" is the sudden fresh flow of life and vigour that love produces in the one who loves.

If you have access, the rest of the poem can be seen here:
    The Brontes

sampathronjay

Sinhala
    If we rearrange the lines into a more normal word order:

The truest love that ever heart felt at its kindled core
    poured the tide of being
    through each vein
    in quickened start.

True love stimulated the heart to pour "the tide of being" through each vein, in quickened start.

Love is life-giving: it pours the tide of life through every vein. It's as though love gives new life to the body, and "quick" has two meanings - fast and alive. The heart is traditionally seen both as the body organ and as the seat of the emotions, especially love, but here it isn't just a metaphor: love stimulates the heart and the flow of blood, producing physical invigoration.

I imagine that "quickened start" is the sudden fresh flow of life and vigour that love produces in the one who loves.

If you have access, the rest of the poem can be seen here:
    The Brontes
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >