Did vomit occur? vs. Have you vomited?

whirlooo

Polish
Hello! It's my first topic on this forum - please, be tolerative for me!
I work on specific medical app. It's for diagnosing patient in different cases. I want to add questions to patients about thier symptoms. For example: Did vomit occur?
I want to know, which tense to use in case asking about symptoms in the past? For example: Did vomit occur vs. Have you vomited.

Thank you in advance

• whirlooo

Polish
    Thank you for your answer. Is it big difference in the case of app in using present perfect or past simple to ask about symptoms?

The Newt

English - US
    Thank you for your answer. Is it big difference in the case of app in using present perfect or past simple to ask about symptoms?
    I would only use the past if you needed to ask about a specific time-period: After you hit your head, did you pass out?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Is it big difference in the case of app in using present perfect or past simple to ask about symptoms?
    Usually, I would expect the patient to be asked something like: "Have you vomited?" or "Have you been vomiting?" and then, if the answer is 'Yes', "When did the vomiting start?" :)

whirlooo

Polish
    Ok. Thank you for your answers. Tell me please, would it be a big mistake for native English speakers if I use present perfect and past simple interchangeably? I plan to create English version which will be dedicated for foreign students and doctors.

< Previous | Next >