Did you <do> <shape up> your hair?

Bonggubi

Japanese
Hi English natives!!

The other day one of my friend applied hair wax or some kind of hair product to his hair to make his own hair stylish.
And I wanted to ask him if he did it by himself. But I had no idea what expression would be more appropriate.

>> Did you do your hair today?
>> Did you shape up your hair with hair wax?

Those are the expressions that I can think of. but I don't know if they sound natural to natives' ear.
What kind of expressions native English speakers use in this kind of situation? If you know, please tell me one or two!

Thanks in advance.

• suzi br

English / England
    Looking at his hair I’d say
    “Did you do that yourself?”
    Then if he says yes:
    “What did you use?”

Bonggubi

Japanese
    Looking at his hair I’d say
    “Did you do that yourself?”
    Then if he says yes:
    “What did you use?”
    So none of the sentences of mine would work? You guys don't use any expressions with the word 'hair'? rather than simply saying "did you do that?"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Have you put wax on your hair? It looks great. Did you do it yourself?

If you think it looks awful, What have you done to your hair? :D

suzi br

English / England
    So none of the sentences of mine would work? You guys don't use any expressions with the word 'hair'? rather than simply saying "did you do that?"
    Yours are not idiomatic.
    We can use the word hair but the suggestions made are all more feasible than the ones you wrote yourself.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Yes, the verb 'to style' and the noun 'hairstyle' are in common use in the UK. Hairdressers are often called 'hair stylists' these days, especially if they create new styles or consider themselves first-rate and want to charge more. A colloquial word for a hair style is a 'hair-do'.
    (Don't ask about hyphenation here!)

< Previous | Next >