did you ever go for it

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The ghostbusters are carrying out an experiment. They put a slimy paranormal substance into a toaster, turn on music and the toast in response starts singing and dancing. Peter then picks it up and pretends the toaster bit his finger, starting screaming as the others, who've fallen into his trick, are trying to help him. Then he laughs and tells them:
-- Oh, did you ever go for it! The old man-eating toaster bit.
Ghostbusters II, movie

Does he mean -- have you ever tried to do this trick with a toaster on somebody else? Thank you.

• Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    Nope, he's not asking a question. "Did you ever (verb)!" is an exclamation that means "Wow, you really (verb)!"
    Here he means "Wow, you really went for it!," or in other words, "Wow, you really fell for my joke!"

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you, both. Do I correctly understand he means "you felt for my trick right now" (on this particular occasion)? I mean, what does "ever" mean in his phrase then?

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    Thank you, both. Do I correctly understand he means "you felt for my trick right now" (on this particular occasion)? I mean, what does "ever" mean in his phrase then?
    No, in this phrase, "ever" doesn't mean "right now." It's just used for emphasis.

Consider also:
    "Did you have a good time at the fair?"
    "Did I ever!!!!" (Meaning: I had an amazingly good time!)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    No, in this phrase, "ever" doesn't mean "right now." It's just used for emphasis.

Consider also:
    "Did you have a good time at the fair?"
    "Did I ever!!!!" (Meaning: I had an amazingly good time!)
    Sorry, I didn't mean that "ever" particularly meant "right now", I mean that this meaning of "ever" can be used even when the event happened only once. That is, in your example, it was one particular fair, right?

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    Sorry, I didn't mean that "ever" particularly meant "right now", I mean that this meaning of "ever" can be used even when the event happened only once. That is, in your example, it was one particular fair, right?
    It doesn't matter whether there are other fairs or other jokes -- there might only be one. "Ever" here has completely lost its normal meaning, and is ONLY used for emphasis.

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    If it helps you to understand, I guess the origin of the phrase might be something like "I had the most fun I could ever imagine having!" But really, it's just a set phrase and "ever" doesn't really mean anything specific when you use it. Just emphasis.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you for the replies!
    One question. Dictionaries give a lot of meanings for "go for", but none gives "fall for" as a meaning. So, is the way "go for" was used in the OP common?

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    Thank you for the replies!
    One question. Dictionaries give a lot of meanings for "go for", but none gives "fall for" as a meaning. So, is the way "go for" was used in the OP common?
    It's a little unusual but not strange. It's very similar to the meaning "to eagerly accept or support something."
    An example I made up:
    "I suggested we eat at the Italian restaurant, and my friends really went for the idea."

< Previous | Next >