Did you have today in a pool?

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by tafkan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. tafkan New Member

italiano
    ITA

Ciao a tutti gli utenti del forum!

In una puntata di Hart of Dixie ho trovato questa espressione: did you have today in a pool? e non ho idea di cosa significhi.

Contesto: due fidanzati parlano della morte di una signora che permetterà loro di comprare la casa della defunta. La ragazza è fin troppo felice della morte della signora e il ragazzo le dice appunto did you have today in a pool? lei allora si ricompone dicendo che naturalmente è una cosa terribile che la povera donna sia morta.

Il tutto si svolge in Alabama, e penso sia un detto tipico visto che i miei amici inglesi e texani non hanno saputo cosa dirmi.

Ringrazio tantissimo chiunque risponderà!

ENG

Hey everybody!

I was watching an episode of Hart of Dixie and found this sentence: did you have today in a pool? No idea of its meaning.

Scene: girl is excited to know that an old woman has passed away so her boyfriend and her can buy the lady's house. Boyfriend side-eyes her and says did you have today in a pool? and she immediately says "of course I'm sorry for the poor woman but this means we can buy her house!"

The couple is from Alabama, I'm guessing it's a local saying or something, as my British and Texan friends weren't able to help me out.

Thank you so much for your help, it's very much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Northern Colorado USA
    American English
    I think her boyfriend is talking about a betting game (pool). Several people put in money and bet on the day that the woman will die. Whoever selected the correct day wins the money that is in the pool.

Yes, I am from Alabama.

EDIT: Did you select today as the day she would die in a betting pool? (Meaning that you just won the pool and you must be excited about that.) And we are no more strange than those outback crocodile dundee guys in the land down under.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Good grief!:D :eek:

And it's a complete sentence? Nothing missing from it? Did you have today in the pool? means Did you take part in the pool? (have= take part)? Hai partecipato alla scommessa?

Begad and begorrah, AB.:D

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    I think AB is saying it means "Did you choose today in your pool?" but it's a stretch...

5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    These Alabamesi are a strange bunch! :D

Here's the context, if you're interested, Jo.

6. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Ok, so now I know it is quite definitely to be avoided!:D:D

Thanks, Charles. :)

NB: I'm quite sure AB wouldn't come out with anything like that, even if he is from Alabama, right, AB?:)

7. tafkan New Member

italiano
    Hello guys! Thanks for replying!

AlabamaBoy: how lucky to meet an Alabamian (??) straight away! ;) That really explains it all! Thanks s lot!!

London Calling: yes, that's all he says. I don't know if I'm allowed to post here the lines from their dialogue but, oh well, here it is:

LEMON
    Did you hear that Marvella Pinckney died? Isn’t that so exciting?
    GEORGE
    Did you have today in a pool, or something?
    LEMON
    No. I mean, of course I’m not happy that she died, poor thing, bless her heart. But it does mean
    that her house is available.

The bet is the most sensible thing I've heard so far ;)) Thanks again!!

8. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Northern Colorado USA
    American English
    1. Don't correct my Alabamese :D
    2. It's no stretch. That's precisely what it means.

9. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Now that you and rrose have made it clearer, AB, it makes perfect sense! (unlike wrestling with crocodiles :eek:). :)