Did you take the pictures you've just shown me yesterday?

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Sample sentence:

Did you take the pictures you've just shown me yesterday?

Question:

Is the word order correct, and are the bolded tenses used correctly?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• Copyright

American English
    Well, then, how about: “Did you take the pictures you just showed me yesterday?” In the context, it will be understood that you just showed them to me, and the question is, “Did you take them yesterday?”

Copyright

American English
    Wrong? I don’t know ... but the simple past is all you need. “Yesterday” is too long in the past for “have just shown me.”

JJXR

Russian
    But "yesterday" is not related to "have just shown me". We can say, for example, "You've just shown me some pictures. Did you take them yesterday?"

Copyright

American English
    Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, in the right context,where we’re dealing with actual photos, you can say: “Did you take the pictures you've just shown me yesterday?”

Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't. It's not incorrect, but it just sounds odd to put "just" and "yesterday" in the same phrase. I'd say: "Those pictures you just showed me, did you take them yesterday?".
    Your revision is the way I would say it, but in the right circumstances I agreed that the original would be understandable.

Szkot

UK English
    Your original sentence sounds fine (though I too would use the simple past tense) if you emphasize yesterday. It only looks a little odd when written down.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    There's a simple rule: with past time markers, like "yesterday", "last year", "a week ago", etc., use the past simple, not the present perfect:)

Olaszinhok

Italian
    Yes, of course but Keith's sentence says: those pictures you have JUST shown me, did you take them yesterday? Why isn't the present perfect correct in the first part of the sentence?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The original sentence is flawed.

As Copyright pointed out first, "just" and "yesterday" conflict in the original and should not be used in writing (even though, in a real conversation, the sentence would be understood.)

The way to express this in writing is with the demonstrative adjective or pronoun:
    Did you take those
    pictures you've just shown me yesterday?
    Did you take those pictures you've just shown me yesterday?

If you wish to learn more about verb forms in sentences with two clauses, you should choose another example.:thumbsup:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes, of course but Keith's sentence says: those pictures you have JUST shown me, did you take them yesterday? Why isn't the present perfect correct in the first part of the sentence?
    Ah, I misread the OP (#1), "you've just shown" is just an embedded realtive clause. So now it seems ok to me.

Olaszinhok

Italian
    This sentence seems correct to me...The present perfect is used with the adverb just in the first clause and the past simple with yesterday in the second clause , inbetween there's a comma...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >