didn’t handle the original flashing incidents

< Previous | Next >

Nullass

Russian
Hello!
I have a problem with the following sentence.
“But we didn’t handle the original flashing incidents”.

Context: Detectives are looking for additional evidences in order to bring a charge against an exhibitionist once again (first charge was dismissed).
1 P.O. Let’s go over the evidence that we have. The interviews and the surveillance tapes.
2 P.O. Okay. But we didn’t handle the original flashing incidents. We could always re-interview those victims.

Thank you in advance.

• Nullass

Russian
    Thank you very much for your help, but I can not get the meaning of "original" as well as "handle" here.
    “Оriginal…” means “those incidents that have already happened or new ones”?
    As for “handle” – perhaps, I need some synonyms to understand?

Thanks again.

Nullass

Russian
    Oh, Thank you, LilianaB, I posted my previous question before your post. Now I get it.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Flashing is somewhat different from "getting undressed in public". Flashing is a sudden exposure of the genitals.
    Are you saying that flashing is limited to a momentary display of sexual organs in public, lifting their clothes up and down rapidly?

DocPenfro

English - British
    No, any display of the (male) genitals in public constitutes an offence of indecent exposure. The offender is informally referred to as a flasher, and the offence as flashing.

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Are you saying that flashing is limited to a momentary display of sexual organs in public, lifting their clothes up and down rapidly?
    Pace Liliana, the usual offence is committed by men, often middle-aged men, wearing overcoats or macks under which they have thought themselves into a high old state of arousal. When a woman walks past, they suddenly open their old mack or overcoat, revealing their naked state of excitement, and then close the mack or coat immediately. The poor woman is given a quick flash of a phallus, and many find that distressing.

I may sound very familiar with this procedure, but promise you I'm only going on hearsay.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You have a difference of opinion here.

Flash = a short glimpse, as in, "I saw a flash of lightning." or sudden light; a camera flash.

The offence of indecent exposure encompasses any intended display of the genitalia. Flashing (informal term) is limited to that which is sudden, and usually short. It need not be a continuous display. Thomas's version is accurate.

Long exposure is simply indecent exposure but can be "streaking" if running naked (male and female) or stripping if all the clothes are taken off in public.

< Previous | Next >