Didn't fold his tents

AliBadass

persian
In the movie''The Lincoln Lawyer'' the lawyer is talking to his client who has lied to him about carrying a knife:Recognize that? It's a picture of your knife, the one you had on you when you went to Reggie's. The one the cops have. That's why Ted Minton(the prosecutor) didn't fold his tents, and shit, why should he when he's got a knife with her blood and your initials?
What does the lawyer mean by saying he didn't fold his tents?

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    This is quite extreme AE. I speak BE.

My best guess from the context is that it means give up, concede defeat.

Do we know what the prosecutor actually did in the circumstances?

AliBadass

persian
    Well, how about telling us, Ali?

This isn't a guessing game.
    Oh sorry I didn't think that you want to know about it. According to the movie the client has been charged with assault with a deadly(that is a knife). When the client sees a knife in a picture that is not actually his knife he was carrying, claims that this is not his knife, he does not say he was carrying another knife though. The prosecutor and the cops are aware of that, not the lawyer though. So when the lawyer asks the prosecutor to drop charges against his client they reject. After that the lawyer gets what the true story is tells his client''That's why the prosecutor didn't fold his tents and shit''.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thank you. So the prosecutor didn't drop the case, and that must, I think, be what's meant by fold his tents and shit.

Incidentally I think the idiom being used is to fold his tents and shit (pack up all his stuff), rather than pack up his tents and go and have a shit.

I'd understand and shit to mean et cetera in this context.

I'll be amused to see what an AE speaker makes of it all.

The literal meaning of the expression, I'd say, is drop the case.

AliBadass

persian
    Thank you. So the prosecutor didn't drop the case, and that must, I think, be what's meant by fold his tents and shit.

Incidentally I think the idiom being used is to fold his tents and shit (pack up all his stuff), rather than pack up his tents and go and have a shit.

I'd understand and shit to mean et cetera in this context.

I'll be amused to see what an AE speaker makes of it all.

The literal meaning of the expression, I'd say, is drop the case.
    Thank you. Yeah your explanations make sense and I go along with you.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Ted Minton(the prosecutor) didn't fold his tents, and shit = Ted Minton didn't pack his bags, and stuff.

to fold your tents = to give up; to abandon a cause.

< Previous | Next >