didn't get his revenge from beyond the grave

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Barnett, a criminal, dies, taking to the grave the secret of where very valuable scientific research is hidden. Scully to Mulder:
-- If he didn't destroy it, chances are that somehow, someday, somebody will find it.
-- And when they do... maybe he didn't get his revenge from beyond the grave, but somehow, I feel like we haven't heard the last from John Barnett.
The X-Files, TV series

Some transcripts say "can get", some "didn't get". I hear the latter. But neither, honestly, makes much sense to me.
Could you explain it?

Anyway, "won't get" would sound right to me:eek:

Thank you.

• Juhasz

English - United States
    I think I recall from one of your previous questions that Barnett was thought to have been dead, but apparently he was actually alive. It sounds like someone thought that Barnett's ghost was getting his revenge, but this idea was proven wrong when it was discovered that Barnett wasn't actually dead. So, the revenge Barnett got wasn't gotten from beyond the grave (sorry, that sentence is a mess).

Did Barnett actually die at some point during the episode?

It seems that Mulder is saying, "OK, it seems that, despite what we thought, Barnett is not capable of taking revenge after he has died; however, I still feel that we may hear something in the future from John Barnett."

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I think I recall from one of your previous questions that Barnett was thought to have been dead, but apparently he was actually alive. It sounds like someone thought that Barnett's ghost was getting his revenge, but this idea was proven wrong when it was discovered that Barnett wasn't actually dead. So, the revenge Barnett got wasn't gotten from beyond the grave (sorry, that sentence is a mess).
    Actually I'm not sure what his revenge is. He had been looking forward to killing Mulder for years, but never did. Maybe Mulder, the speaker, means that?
    But it's not about a ghost:)

Did Barnett actually die at some point during the episode?
    He dies at the very end of the episode, and now this talk between Mulder and Scully. In the episode, Barnett was considered dead, that was written on his death certificate, but it was fake. Only Mulder believed Barnett was alive and he turned out to be right eventually.
    It seems that Mulder is saying, "OK, it seems that, despite what we thought, Barnett is not capable of taking revenge after he has died; however, I still feel that we may hear something in the future from John Barnett."
    Sorry, you mean "didn't" fits the context?

Juhasz

English - United States
    That's what I meant, yes. We thought that Barnett had taken revenge from beyond the grave, but he did not. He took revenge in the normal way (from the near-side of the grave).

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    That's what I meant, yes. We thought that Barnett had taken revenge from beyond the grave, but he did not. He took revenge in the normal way (from the near-side of the grave).
    If he really did, what is it? I mean, Mulder is alive. Barnett killed some people during the episode though, but I don't think it was revenge.

What if "didn't get his revenge" means he never did at all? Is that possible?...

< Previous | Next >