didn't go to play football with

jakartaman

Korean
Hi :)

He didn't go to play football with his friends.

Does this sentence sound natural? Do I have to change "to" to "and"?

Thank you!

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    This is one of those instances where in BE we tend to say it as "He didn't go and play football with his friends." as sounding more natural, whereas in AE I believe the preference is more for "to".

I'm very happy to be corrected on that last point, though. ;)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The sentence sounds natural and you do not need to change "to" to "and". To implies "with the intention of playing" or "for the purpose of playing", and and implies "both going and playing."

I'm not sure that this to/and AE/BE point is applicable here: I thought that was the "Why don't you go [and] play with Jimmy?" construction... I too stand to be corrected by an AE speaker.

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    My preferences, in order, would be (1) "go play football," (2) "go and play football," and (3) "go to play football."

In a positive statement of the past tense, however, I would say "went to play football." In that case, though, there is a slight implication that he intended to play football, but I have no idea whether he really did. And "he went and played football" has an exasperated tone.

Myridon

English - US
    He didn't go to play football with his friends.
    He didn't go with his friends to play football.
    He didn't go with his friends.
    These sentences emphasize "going" with "playing football" as the purpose of "going."
    He didn't go and play football with his friends. (BrE)
    He didn't go play football with his friends. (AmE)
    He didn't play football with his friends.
    These sentences emphasize "playing football."

< Previous | Next >