didn't pause long enough to hear our answer

< Previous | Next >

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Hello,

“Why are there beans on my ice cream?” asked one of our child testers. But she didn't pause long enough to hear our answer (“Try it, maybe you'll like it.”). We dug in and tried the oddish mish-mash of flavors.

From Next-level ice cream you have to try this summer

How can I interpret the part in bold? Does it mean she did hear part of our answer (for example maybe the first two words: try it) or does it mean she didn’t hear our answer at all?

• lingobingo

English - England
    The meaning is very clear.

They replied: “Try it. Maybe you’ll like it.” But the child didn’t even wait long enough to listen to that reply. She had already started eating it.

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
    Perhaps I am overthinking. If the child asked the question (represented by A) and two seconds after, they started replying (represented by B). Their reply lasted 4 seconds (C represents their reply was over).

A__2 seconds__B___4 seconds__C

Does it mean the child waited two seconds and then started eating? ( the child didn't hear the reply at all)

Or does it mean the child waited three seconds and then started eating ? (the child heard the first second of the reply)

Nickle Sydney

The child wasn't deaf, so either way before eating the ice-cream or when eating it she must have heard the reply.
    I do think you're overthinking it. :D She simply asked something, wasn't interested in any kind of answer, started eating the ice-cream.

< Previous | Next >